Weather Icon 2.9°C Snow
Firefighters tackle major blaze in Dukinfield – two crew suffer injuries
Saturday 13th January 2018 @ 23:17 by Nigel Skinner
Dukinfield News Tameside

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries as around 40 crew members spent Saturday night tackling a major blaze at a commercial warehouse in Dukinfield.

Fire engines from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) were called to Cooper Street just before 8pm.

At the height of the blaze, six fire engines, two aerials and a Technical Response Unit – plus a number of other specialist appliances and officers, were at the scene.

The fire involved a single storey building, measuring approximately 40 metres by 20 metres, that produces pillow and bedding products.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus have used five jets and an aerial appliance to bring the fire under control, which took around two hours.

Residents in the nearby area were advised to keep their windows and doors closed due to a large amount of smoke in the area.

Blaze: At least six fire engines attended as the smoke from the fire engulfed other parts of Tameside (Picture by Oliver and Andy)

Group Manager Phil Nelson, who was in charge of the incident, said: “When crews arrived at the scene the building was well alight and there was a lot of smoke in the area. Crews are working hard to extinguish the fire and we are expecting to be here throughout the night.

“We currently have some road closures in place but the affected roads are in the industrial part of the area – Cooper Street, Wharf Street and Furnace Street. We are working with police to manage the road closures and with those who have businesses in the area to reduce any commercial impact.

“Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while tackling the fire. They were taken to hospital suffering minor injuries and are due to return home this evening. The families of the injured firefighters have been informed about their injuries.”

The firefighters were treated by North West Ambulance crew at the scene before being taken to hospital. They were later discharged.

The cause of the blaze in unknown at this stage.

Greater Manchester Police sealed off Wharf Street at the junctions of Hill Street and King Street and Furnace Street as fire fighters battled the blaze.

Crews remained at the scene throughout Saturday night and a stretch of King Street around Wharf Street and Cooper Street remained closed on Sunday morning.

On Sunday morning, Station Manager Dave Swallow said: “Two fire engines and an aerial appliance remain on the scene and we are expecting resources to reduce to just one fire engine this afternoon with a view to closing the incident later today.

“Cooper Street remains closed but working with police we have reopened the other roads.

“An investigation is underway to establish the cause of the fire.”

Wild: Fire fighters attempting to bring the blaze under control (Picture by Phil Nelson)

MAIN PICTURE: The smoke and flames over Dukinfield on Saturday evening.

AFTERMATH: The scene on Sunday morning.