Weather Icon 9°C Overcast
Droylsden extend unbeaten run to six matches with draw at Mossley
Tuesday 2nd January 2018 @ 11:04 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

The weather was probably the final winner in this New Year’s Day local derby at Seel Park as Mossley and Droylsden fought out a nil nil draw in torrential rain.

The Bloods will probably feel that they should have won the game, having the better of the possession and the chances but the home team threatened especially on the break.

Dave Pace’s team showed two changes from Saturday’s win against Ossett Town, new signing Aaron Fleming starting up front in place of Kilheeney while Shaun Holden replaced Ben Barber at the back.

There was an early scare for the Bloods, keeper Branagan dropping a cross which the home team felt had crossed the line, the keeper was called on shortly after to save well from Adam Latham while Mossley keeper Oliver Martin saved from Sefton Gonzales.

Droylsden began to take control, a lovely sweeping move finishing with Luke Daly hitting the side netting from a tight angle. On the half hour mark Liam Caddick saw his shot cleared off the line by Keenan Quansah.

As half time approached Luke Daly headed wide from six yards at the end of a wonderful move which saw Dylan Smith break quickly from the back while a great double save right on half time from Oliver Martin denied Liam Caddick.

At the resumption, Martin was again to the rescue, saving with Luke Daly through on goal and Liam Caddick had the ball in the net only to be flagged offside.

Meanwhile at the other end, Tom Dean headed just over from a free kick while Ritchie Branagan was called into action saving well from Matty Crowthers with half an hour left.

Bloods brought in Domaine Rouse for Aaron Fleming as they went after a winner, Jamie Frost had a glorious chance through on goal on the left but shot badly wide while Liam Caddick saw his goalbound shot blocked as the conditions became more and more difficult for both teams.

At the other end, Mossley came close to winning the three points with ten minutes left, substitute Ashley Leather breaking down the right and his cross saw Adam Latham’s attempt clip the bar.

The Bloods then had two glorious chances to win it, substitute Steve Hall through one on one with the keeper failing to hit his chip with much conviction and allowing Martin to palm it behind for a corner.

In the dying minutes, Sefton Gonzales found himself unmarked in the area but headed well wide of the target.

By Nigel Barlow

Pics: Martyn Nolan