Latics held to 0-0 draw for second time in four days
Monday 27th November 2017 @ 14:12 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

EFL League One

Gillingham 0-0 Oldham Athletic


Oldham Athletic were held to a 0-0 draw for a second time in four days at Gillingham on Saturday.

The result leaves Oldham in 17th position and three points above the relegation zone, while Gillingham find themselves in the danger zone on goal difference.

Despite extending their unbeaten run in all competitions to four matches, manager Richie Wellens said his side should have won the game. Speaking to IFollow Latics, the 37-year-old said: “I think we should have won the game. I think up to about 75 minutes there was only one team looking to score.

“It turned out to be a game going from where we should be very comfortable in the game, winning by a couple of goals and then they gave it a real good go in the end and we could have lost it, they hit the bar from the free kick from 20 yards.

“We had the chances where you think ‘this must be a goal’. You look at the lads throwing themselves on the line, Queensy Menig went round the keeper, that should have been a goal, we had five or six really good chances.

“There are positives again: a clean sheet and we made the chances. The way the game went we should have been winning by a couple of goals but fair credit to them they dug in, stuck in there and they could have nicked it.

“We were conceding goals at an alarming rate but also scoring goals at a very high rate. We’ve stopped shipping them in, we just need to start taking a few chances now.

“I’ve got every confidence in the strikers that they’ll start scoring.”

Wellens’ outfit were fortunate to take a point from the fixture, as Luke O’Neill’s injury-time free-kick cannoned off the cross bar.

Oldham did, however, have a chance to snatch a late winner as well, but substitute Queensy Menig’s effort was cleared off the goal line by Mark Byrne.

In a game of limited chances, a forgettable first-half produced one fine save from Gills keeper Tomas Holy. Eoin Doyle, looking to take his tally to 12 for the season, drew a fine left handed save from 20 yards out.

The game was held up for a considerable period when Gills skipper Lee Martin was stretchered off with an apparent head injury. However, despite being taken to hospital as a precautionary procedure, the 30-year-old was later confirmed to be fine.

After a fairly uneventful game, Latics keeper Johnny Placide was called into action, saving well from a low Bryne effort.

Doyle then came close for a second time in the fixture, before Tom Eaves struck an effort wide of the post for Gillingham.

In the dying embers of the match, Menig and O’Neill both came close, but the sides had to settle for a hard-fought point.

Oldham make the long trip south for a second successive weekend on Saturday – this time to Southend United.

Attendance: 4,369 (229 travelling fans)