Weather Icon 7°C Mostly Cloudy
Last gasp winner dents Glossop’s title chances
Monday 20th November 2017 @ 09:51 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik First Division North

Glossop 0-1 Tadcaster Albion

A late goal for Tadcaster Albion gave the visitors all three points as they travelled to Surrey Street to face Glossop North End in the Evo-Stik north first division league game.

Glossop had a massively depleted squad going into the game with eight of the Hillmen being out due to either injuries or illness. The management of Glossop asked for emergency signings and these players helped the home team put in a resilient performance.

Glossop’s worries were not helped when twelve minutes into the game, centre back for the blues, Mike Connor, saw a straight red card for an apparent kick out after the ball had gone setting up for a tough evening for the Glossop side.

Tadcaster found it hard to break down the Glossop defence but finally found a way in second half injury time as a corner flew across the box and was stabbed in at the back post by substitute Adam Baker to start scenes of celebrations by both players and travelling fans.

The game kicked off with Glossop feeling confident after their previous victory in the FA trophy the week before.

They quickly had a blow to the confidence as centre back Mike Connor saw a red card in what was seen as a dubious decision by fans and players at the game. Whether it was correct or not Glossop had a big uphill struggle in front of them to get a result out of the game.

Tadcaster took control of the game as Glossop management told the players to sit back and try and catch the opposition on the break with pacey players, Zeph Thomas and Jude Oyibo.

Conor Sellars’, in the Tadcaster midfield, set the pace of the game as he was key in all attacks for the visiting team but could not help his team pick the lock of the Glossop defence.

The teams went into the half at 0-0 and Glossop felt like it was well deserved after defending for just over thirty minutes. Paul Phillips in Glossop’s goal and his defensive team stood strong and looked ready for another half when they came out for the second forty-five.

More and more Tadcaster pressure piled onto the Glossop team as they faced a wall of blue with two strong banks of players stood in the way of the goal and trying to defend out the game to earn a well-deserved point.

The board went up for injury time and Tadcaster were mounting yet another attack on the weary and battered but resilient Glossop defence. A chance fell in the dying minutes for the visitors to steal the win and all three points but the reactions of Phillips stopped the celebrations and made it seem Glossop had held on for the draw.

The resulting corner was swung into a dangerous area and Glossop could not defend this one, the ball had seemed to be making its way to safety until it was met at the far post where Adam Baker poked the ball in to break the home team’s hearts.

Tadcaster fans celebrated behind the Glossop goal as the referee blew for full time with the visitors walking away the victors.

By Liam Amos

Pictures: Steve Dyson