Curzon come from behind to take a share of the spoils at Nuneaton Town
Monday 20th November 2017 @ 16:26 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

National League North

Nuneaton Town 1-1 Curzon Ashton


A penalty each saw the sides share the points at Liberty Way though Curzon will probably be the happier side as Nuneaton remain in the bottom three.

A scrappy game saw Curzon have the better opening with Niall Cummins flicking a header wide on 7 minutes.

Joe Guest then forced Dean Lyness into a great save following an excellent cross from James Baillie, with Jordan Wright’s follow up blocked for a corner which came to nothing.

Ben Wharton had a shot on the turn saved low down as Curzon threatened again but after looking comfortable at the back and the team most likely to break the deadlock, Curzon suddenly found themselves trailing to an Ashley Chambers penalty.

There’s no doubt that the ball struck Steve Howson on the arm as he slipped while dealing with a cross from the right.  There’s also little doubt that it was a completely accidental contact, but to add insult to injury Howson was also booked for the offence. Chambers didn’t waste the opportunity, smashing his spot kick high into the top corner giving Cameron Mason no chance of saving.

Neither side created much for the remainder of the half.  Nuneaton looked dangerous on the break but Mason wasn’t really threatened while Curzon’s moves seem to break down all too often when the final ball was required.

Nuneaton almost doubled their lead a couple of minutes into the second half.  Mason made a great save from Jordan Nicholson and the resulting corner was cleared off the line.  It was an important moment as Curzon began to apply pressure at the other end and Lyness saved well from a Cummins volley after a good run by Joe Guest.

Jamie Stott then tried his luck from 30 yards.  His shot had power and was on target but went straight at Lyness, but the Nash were deservedly level on 57 minutes.  Ben Wharton was needlessly brought down as he attempted to control a cross.  Niall Cummins stepped up and confidently stroked the penalty into the corner with Lyness diving the opposite way.

Despite clawing themselves level, it was Nuneaton who threatened more for the remainder of the half. Twice Mason made great saves, but neither was necessary as the offside flag had already been raised on both occasions.

As the game wore on Curzon began to sit back, absorbing the Nuneaton pressure which they achieved without too many scares.  Nuneaton had a couple of decent chances but their failure to hit the target meant that the teams finished with a point each.

By Ian Seymour