Bloods battered at leaders South Shields
Monday 20th November 2017 @ 10:40 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik First Division North

South Shields 6-1 Droylsden

Four goals in the first 35 minutes saw South Shields sweep aside The Bloods at the Mariner’s Stadium on Saturday, bringing an end to an unbeaten league run in the most comprehensive of ways for Dave Pace’s men and propelling the Geordies to the top of league.

The Bloods started well and indeed created the first chance, Liam Caddick finding himself in space and seeing his shot deflected just wide of the far post after just five minutes but it was one way traffic after that, minutes later an attempted clearance from Ritchie Branagan, charged down by Jamie Holmes and just missing the goal.

A minute later Carl Finnigan put South Shields ahead converting from a Cogden cross.

With the home team negating the Bloods threat quickly of building play from the back, and were soon under constant attack down their own flanks and the Mariners doubled their lead on twenty two minutes, Holmes combining with Cogdon for the latters shot to give Branagan no chance.

Two goals from centre half Dillon Morse then effectively killed the game, heading home unmarked from an Arca corner on the half hour mark and then four minutes later, converting after Cogdon had turned the Droylsden defence.

In between, Robert Briggs saw his shot from the edge of the area fly just over the bar, and then with half time approaching, Cogdon forced a near post save from Branagan.

James Coates came on for Ritchie Branagan after the interval but the first thing he found himself doing was to pick the ball out of the back of the net after Carl Finnigan converted from the penalty spot after Holmes was bundled over in the area.

Shaun Holden came on for Dom Smith straight after but the rampant Shields, the Bloods defence caught out on the left by a quick throw from Baxter, Cogdon running into the area and lashing his shot past Coates with half an hour still to go.

Bloods came Close shortly after, Dylan Smith denied by a point blank save by Connell in the Shields goal.

Substitute Steve Hall came on for Liam Caddic and scored a consolation goal for Droylsden with five minutes left but this was a day that the Bloods will hope is a one off and will put behind them before their trip to Telford next weekend.

By Nigel Barlow

Picture: Peter Talbot (South Shields Twitter)