Weather Icon 7.1°C Rain
MATCH REPORT Doyle’s double earns Oldham a second successive win
Monday 2nd October 2017 @ 16:10 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

EFL League One:

Portsmouth 1-2 Oldham Athletic

Oldham moved out of the League One relegation zone with a 2-1 victory at Portsmouth on Saturday, marking Richie Wellens’ second win as interim manager.

Eoin Doyle produced the goods with a well-taken brace in a game that attracted 17,848 to Fratton Park.

The on-loan Preston man opened the scoring in the 16th minute with a close-range effort in-front of goal, before grabbing his second just after the break with a classy chip over the Pompey keeper.

Oldham were made to work hard for the win, however, as Bret Pitman pulled one back for the hosts in the 90th minute, before the fourth official announced eight minute of additional time to spark an anxious end to the game.

With Doyle said to be ruled out ahead of the game, the 466 travelling supporters made the long trip south in hope, rather than expectation.

However, in what came as a shock to those in attendance, Doyle was featured in the starting XI.

Wellens’ mind games certainly paid off, as the striker put the Portsmouth defence under constant pressure from the very first whistle.

The 29-year-old had the first real chance of the game, but his powerful effort from long-range cannoned off the post and out to safety.

Pitman then forced goalkeeper Johny Placide into action at the other end of the pitch.

Looking to extend his tally to nine for the season, Pitman’s fearsome effort from long-range drew a fingertip save from the Oldham shot stopper.

Oldham refused to be phased by the Portsmouth opportunity and retained their dominance soon after.

Jack Byrne had a shot blocked, before Rob Hunt fired wide of the Portsmouth goal.

However, Oldham’s persistence paid off when Doyle notched his first of the game to give Oldham the lead.

Craig Davies darted forward and forced a low save from MCcGee, but Doyle was alert to the rebound and tapped home form close range.

Doyle continued to create problems, but it was Gevaro Nepomuceno who came closest thereafter. The winger volleyed an effort just over the bar, before heading Cameron Dummigan’s cross just wide.

Jamal Lowe could – and should – have drew Portsmouth level. However, after finding himself behind the Oldham defence, the striker hit his effort onto the post.

Oldham finished the first-half strongly – and it took less than three minutes after the re-start to double their lead.

After capitalising on a mistake from the Portsmouth defence, Doyle pushed forward and lobbed McGee with real aplomb.

Latics continued to grow in confidence, and they should have made it three through Dan Gardner’s shot. The midfielder’s effort flying wide of the post.

Chances were far and few between from this point, although Pitman gave a scare in the 90th minute after steering the ball into the far corner.

Away Support (466)