Primary Schools’ Cup Finals Live Up To Expectations
Tuesday 9th May 2017 @ 09:53 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

The 2017 Tameside Schools’ F.A. Primary Cup Finals on Thursday 4th and Friday 5th May had all the ingredients of one off matches with individual excellence, close fought encounters, a stirring comeback and a penalty shoot-out.

The South Tameside (Kiley) Cup Final was an all Dukinfield affair between Yew Tree and St. John’s C. of E. In windy conditions, St. John’s started strongly and kept Yew Tree pinned back. Having weathered the proverbial storm, Yew Tree hit St. John’s in three quick counter attacks, with Alex Harvey scoring an excellent hat-trick towards the end of the first half. In the second half, Jamie Wilson gave St. John’s some hope with an early goal but Yew Tree rallied and two goals, another from Alex Harvey and Taylor Jones gave Yew Tree a comprehensive 5-1 victory.

Yew Tree squad

Yew Tree squad: Matthew Reddish (c), Ben Hodson, Coban Melia, Lewis Seddon, Jacob Brooks, Alex Harvey, Taylor Jones, Harry Whiteford, Harry Brierley, Domingos Morais.

St. John’s C. of E squad: Jack Heap (c), Louie Horrocks, Umer Yousaf, Jamie Wilson, Mason Eadsforth, Joshua Crossland, Lewis Turner, Jake Murphy-Buckley, Calum Williams and Alfie Sigley.

The North Tameside (Holmes) Cup Final brought together the two form teams of the season; Moorside Primary, Droylsden and Canon Burrows C. of E., Ashton. The match, watched by a very enthusiastic crowd was a classic between two very evenly matched teams with chances hard to come by. It took a very swift passing move between three Moorside players to unlock the Canon Burrows defence and allow Joseph Herod to slide the ball past the onrushing keeper. Despite pressure from Canon Burrows, Moorside held out to take the cup which they last one in 2014.


Both teams were to meet again the following evening in the Tameside (Heywood) Cup Final and the game was another classic. The questions on everyone’s lips were, would Moorside complete the double or could Canon Burrows learn from their defeat the night before? Moorside changed their kit for this match and maybe it was an omen because the Canon Burrows team came quickly out of the blocks and Deacon Kenway latched on to a loose ball and slotted it past the Moorside keeper. Again, both teams showed all their skills and competitive attitude as the game ebbed and flowed but Moorside couldn’t unlock the Canon Burrow’s defence and they deservedly picked up the trophy having been beaten finalists in 2016.

Back Row (left to right): Connor Perkin, Bailey Phillipson, Alfie Brindley-Smith, Jenson Jones and James Corbett.
Front Row (left to right): Sam Backhouse (C), Oliver Richardson, Deacon Kenway and Jimmy Gledhill


Moorside Academy squad: Callum Kendal (captain), Dane Byron, Rhys Rowlinson, Mikie Ikin, Broden Phipps, Josh Turner, Jamie Hamnett, Sean Carter and Joseph Herod.

The Tameside (Millea) Supplementary Cup Final which is for one-form entry schools, brought together Hollingworth Primary and St. John Fisher R.C., Haughton Green. St. John Fisher had three good chances in the first half but were punished for their wayward shooting when Matthew Goodwin’s shot caught the St. John Fisher keeper unawares and gave Hollingworth the lead. In the second half, Matthew doubled his tally and Hollingworth’s lead and it looked like St. John Fisher would be runners-up for the second successive year. However, their liveliest forward, Tristan Thompson pulled one back and, using the wind, they camped in the Hollingworth half and were rewarded with the equaliser from Jayhun Ceyhan just before the finish. In the penalty shoot-out, Tristan Thompson and George Sunderland coolly converted their penalties whilst the Hollingworth strikers were unsuccessful with theirs. St. John Fisher added their Tameside football title to their tag-rugby, lacrosse and netball successes.

St. John Fisher R.C. squad was: Kai Higginbotham (C), Henry Jostel, George Sunderland, Remy Simmons, Daniel Webb, Tristan Thompson, Joshua Dodd and Jayhun Ceyhan.

Hollingworth squad: Matthew Goodwin, Jack Douse, Tyler Partington, Jack Makepeace, Jasmine Longden, Joe Griffiths, Ben Sutton, Oliver Wilson.


Many thanks to Mark Bradshaw and Curzon Ashton for permission to use the 3G pitches; and to Trevor Massey, John Walton and Steve Jones from Manchester F.A. for fine refereeing duties.  Also, thanks to the supporters of all the schools who helped create a great atmosphere. Medals and trophies were presented by Tameside School’s F.A. officials: Donal Townson (ex-St. John Fisher R.C), Secretary; John Murphy, Treasurer (ex-Poplar Street) and Kevin Connaghan, Child Welfare Officer (St. Peter’s C. of E.)

By Donal Townson