Weather Icon 7.3°C Mostly Cloudy
MATCH REPORT Kendal Town 5-0 Droylsden
Monday 30th January 2017 @ 09:34 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Droylsden’s unbeaten run in 2017 came to a crashing end at Kendal Town in a 5-0 trashing.

A hat-trick from Steven Yawson saw the Mintcakes take advantage of some poor defending by Droylsden with an own goal from Yomi Samuels and a final strike from Matt Dudley ending a dismal day for the Bloods.

Droylsden started the game the stronger, passing the ball around well with Liam Caddick and Steve Hall having early chances but the home side began to get into the game, Matt Poole allowed far too much room on the edge of the area only to shoot horribly wide.

Minutes later Kendal were in front, full back Ben Thomas evading two challenges on the left and crossing to give Steve Yawson an easy chance to slot the ball home.

The Bloods’ should have equalised just before half-time, Tom Peers playing a perfect through ball opening up the home team’s defence but Jamie Frost’s effort slid wide of the far post.

After the break, the Bloods found themselves two down almost from the resumption, a poor clearance from the back landing at the feet of Yawson who was allowed to run into the box unchallenged to shoot into the top corner.

Yawson got his hat-trick six minutes later, the Bloods giving the ball away from a free kick on the half way line and a precision cross from Matt Dudley finding the head of the winger to leave the Bloods’ a mountain to climb.

Droylsden brought on all three substitutes soon after. Hasler Cregg and new signings Ben Deegan and Scott Metcalfe in place of Caddick, Peers and Hall but it made little difference to the game.

With ten minutes left Coates pulled off a fine save to deny the dangerous Matt Dudley, a minute later the Mintcakes made it four when a Ben Thomas cross was deflected past his own goalkeeper by Yomi Samuels and a poor day was capped four minutes later when a mix up at the back allowed Dudley to chip into an empty net.

By Nigel Barlow