MATCH REPORT Hyde 2-2 Colwyn Bay
Thursday 29th December 2016 @ 09:11 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

By Jonathan Arrowsmith:

Hyde United were held at home once again for the sixth time in two months as they drew 2-2 with Colwyn Bay.

The Tigers came from behind to take a 2-1 lead but goals from Matt Beadle and Big Khamsuck weren’t enough to see off The Bay, who equalised moments after Hyde took the lead.

The first half was a drab affair with goal kicks and free kicks dominating the game.

The only real chance of the half fell too Colwyn ten minutes before the half time whistle, Russ Saunders producing an excellent reflex save from Will Booth’s deflected effort just inside the box, Saunders could only parry the effort out to Scott Bakkor whose scuffed shot produced a magnificent save from Saunders who scurried across his net from the floor to keep the game level going into the break.

The switch was flicked after the break and the game came into life with a flurry of early goals.

Hyde started to press higher and close down every Colwyn player, which subsequently created space for both sides to play into.

Bakkor put the Welsh side into the lead after a defensive mix up at the back, his ranged effort beating a poorly positioned Saunders.

Hyde’s response was perfect, straight up the other end of the field Danny Pilkington produced a fine in-swinging corner which hung excellently for Matt Beadle to steer the header home for.

The Hyde pressure was rewarded when Big Khamsuck hunted down Gareth Grant to win the ball back way into the Colwyn half,
Big’s brilliance then took over as he twisted and turned his man before producing a perfect finish into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.

Going 1-0 down seemed to ignite life into The Tigers before Chris Gahgan struck from inside the box to level the game once again following Bakkor’s run down the right hand side.

It could have been worse ten minutes from time as full back Luke Denson almost put Colwyn back in front, his effort denied by the post.

Laurie Bell made his second home debut for Hyde United having returned to the club following a spell in Sweden.

His experience was there to witness as he and Janni Lipka had taken control of the game in the second half.

Bell will count himself unfortunate not to have won the game for The Tigers, as he struck the woodwork from a direct free kick with just minutes on the clock.

Hyde will feel aggrieved not to of picked up all three points once again at home as the result once again doesn’t match the performance.

Speaking after the game, Hyde manager Darren Kelly expressed his disappointment at the goals conceded. “We showed great character to get back in it, we take the lead and we’re in control but then to go and concede the way we did, could have been easily avoided.”

“But again I’m proud of the players in terms of the effort and commitment they showed, and we’ll just move on now to Monday”

Kelly also confirmed the future of forward Andy Bishop: “Bishop’s left the club, the type of player we want – Matty Beadle – is more of that. Bishop coming in was a quick fix for us, and I think Bishop is really keen to get back into management”