Man jailed for 14 years for abuse of two girls aged between 4 and 9 in Ashton
Monday 19th December 2016 10:50 Ashton News Posted by Lee Wild

A Reddish man has been jailed for 14 years after committing sex acts on two young girls.

Brendan Simcock, 40, from Woodhall Crescent had been found guilty of 11 counts of indecent assault at an earlier hearing.

At Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court on Thursday (15 December) he was sentenced to 14 years in prison and made to sign the sex offenders register for life.

The offences began at addresses in Stockport before moving to Ashton.

Pictured: Brendan Simcock

He was found guilty by a jury of six counts of indecent assault against the youngest girl, and five counts of indecent assault against the oldest.

He was also given a lifetime sexual harm prevention order.

Between 2001 and 2006, Simcock sexually abused two girls who were aged between four and nine at the time the abuse started.

The level of abuse only came to light after one of the victims came forward and spoke to police in March 2015, almost 9 years after the crimes, after years of struggling to come to terms with the abuse.

After information was disclosed by the first victim, officers were able to approach the second woman, originally as a witness.

However, she then told officers how Simcock had sexually assaulted her multiple times when she visited her friends house to play.

Detective Constable Rebecca Smith, of Greater Manchester Police’s Stockport Borough, said: “Simcock sexually abused these two girls over a sustained period of time and his despicable actions continue to have a profound effect on their lives.

“As an adult, he abused the trust shown in him to exploit their childhood innocence and left both victims with emotional scars that they still carry today as young women.”

She also paid tribute to the strength of the women for coming forward about the abuse they suffered:

“I would like to pay tribute to both victims for showing incredible courage in reporting the appalling crimes they suffered at Simcock’s hands more than a decade ago.

“They also showed tremendous bravery in giving evidence in court and, in doing so, helped ensure Simcock was rightly brought to justice.

“I hope the conviction will show anyone who may have been the victim of sexual abuse that, no matter how long ago it happened, Greater Manchester Police are committed to thoroughly investigating all reports.

“We offer full support to victims and do everything in our power to ensure those responsible feel the full weight of the law.”