Weather Icon 7.3°C Mostly Cloudy
Kieran McGrath gunman sentenced to life in prison
Monday 21st November 2016 @ 13:19 by Adam Higgins
Ashton News

The gunman who fired the shots that killed Kieran McGrath in Ashton last year has been sentenced to life in prison.

Thirty-four-year-old Remi Adams, from Whitefield, was found guilty of murder last Wednesday at Manchester Crown Court following a re-trial.

Adams is the final member of the gang to be sentenced and was sentenced on Thursday to life, with a minimum of 30 years.

34-year-old Remi Adams from Whitefield, was jailed for life with a minimum of 30 years

34-year-old Remi Adams, from Whitefield, was jailed for life with a minimum of 30 years

Antony Henry, 32, Troy Beckford, 24, and Jace Smith, 31, were also found guilty of the murder of Kieran McGrath at a previous hearing and will all serve life sentences totalling a minimum of 94 years.

Bretony Gallimore, 25, from Crumpsall, was Henry’s girlfriend at the time, was also previously convicted of assisting an offender and was handed a three year sentence.

In a statement, Detective Chief Inspector Terry Crompton, of Greater Manchester Police, said: “Today, the last piece of the puzzle is complete and the final man has been sentenced for the murder of Kieran.

“Five people who were all in some way responsible for Kieran’s death are now behind bars where they belong.

“I know this will never make up for the loss Kieran’s family and friends have had to endure but I hope it goes some way to providing them with closure.

“I would like to thank Kieran’s family for their patience and support throughout this case as well as the dedication and commitment of our officers.”

The court heard Kieran and Anthony Henry had engaged in a feud that was marked throughout with threats and violence.

Lasting over two years, the feud came to a head on October 4, 2014, after Henry conspired with Beckford to murder him, with Smith and Adams to carry out the shooting.

A tracker was installed on an Audi S3 by Beckford in the early hours of September 23, 2014.

The tracker would later on lead both Smith and Adams to the Sheldon Arms pub, on the fateful night that Kieran was killed.

Henry used an iPad to check the location and the travel history of the tracking device on a daily basis.

On October 4, 2014, Beckford purchased two handsets which would be used for the relaying on Kieran’s location between Beckford, Henry, Adams and Smith.

That evening Kieran met friends at the Sheldon Arms Pub at around 9pm.

At 9.53pm, Smith and Adams drove the motorcycle into the carpark of the Travelodge which is next to the Sheldon Arms and parked in a bay, with the pillion passenger getting off the bike and approaching the back wall of the Sheldon Arms.

Ten minutes later, they drove round to the Sheldon Arms car park, placing themselves in position to strike when Kieran left the pub.

At 10.20pm, Kieran and a friend left the Sheldon Arms and were walking across the car park when the motorcycle stopped nearby and the passenger ran over and opened fire at Kieran and his car.

By this time, Kieran was in the driver’s seat and one of the four shots travelled through the rear door of the vehicle and entered the top of Kieran’s back.

Kieran drove immediately to Ashton Police Station where he collapsed as a result of his injuries where paramedics battled unsuccessfully to save his life.

By Molly Smith