Hyde leave it late to claim victory over Burscough
Tuesday 25th October 2016 @ 15:14 by Mark Phillip
Football Hyde Sports

By Thomas Gray:

A second half fight back from the Tigers earnt them a fully deserved win against bottom of the league Burscough who themselves are still looking for a first win of the season.

Branded a “must win game” by manager Darren Kelly, Hyde set up in a familiar 4-3-3 formation with Big Khamsuk making his first start of the season after some impressive performances in recent weeks coming off the bench. Adam Jones stood in as captain as Andy Pearson was dropped to the bench.

The opening exchanges between the two teams offered very little as it was Hyde that dominated the possession but Burscough who had the better chances. This however proved futile as failing to convert any of their earlier chances came back to bite Burscough in the name of Daniel Pilkington. He got his first goal for United with a little help from a Burscough head. His whipped in free kick from the left looked easy enough for the keeper to handle but a slight deflection off a Burscough head took it into the top corner and sent the Tigers into the lead.

Hyde continued to look dominant and if it wasn’t for a great save from Chris Cheetham in the Burscough sticks, Wassi would have had a goal and Hyde’s second. Up until the half an hour mark, Hyde had looked comfortable but for all their good play, they were undone by a couple minutes of madness. First a poor first touch by James Burke allowed Elliot Nevitt to nick the ball off him only to be brought down by Burke just outside the box. The resulting free kick was a peach as it curled over the wall and into corner of the net. A brilliant goal by Connor Smith. He then turned provider three minutes later as his through ball allowed ex Hyde loanee Liam Davies to get in and slide it into the net. It appeared to take a deflection as it crossed the line but the goal was given to Davies.

Hyde pushed on and thought they had got there equaliser just before half time with a brilliant header from Ayerton Bevins only to be once again stopped by an unbelievable point blank save from Cheetham.

Darren Kelly’s troops were sent out early in the second half and they started really well. Still feeling unlucky to be behind they pushed on and got the equaliser on 57 minutes. A slip by the impressive Smith allowed Khamsuk to charge down the pitch with Burscough short at the back. He released Pilkington who crossed into the box where Andy Bishop was lurking. His shot was blocked but the rebound came to Bevins who this time beat Cheetham and got the tigers back on track.

That goal seemed to lift everyone around Ewen fields and even the sun made an appearance as it beamed down with 30 minutes to go. Neither side could really get a foothold on the game as it became increasingly stretched. It looked like Burscough were going to come away with a point as the final couple of minutes approached.

A long kick up to Bishop who had made a habit of winning headers all afternoon once again rose highest and nodded onto Pilkington who got in front of his man. He was then able to play substitute Joe Pugh down the left who drilled a wonderful cross into the box. Cheetham managed to get a hand to it but it could only go as far as Bishop who picked his spot and stroked the ball home.

Burscough looked for an immediate reply but the Hyde defence battled well. It was a deserved win for the Tigers who simply offered more going forward and subsequently moves them up to 16th with Burscough still rooted to the bottom of the table.