Warnings After Kitchen Fire
Friday 16th September 2016 12:41 Gorton & Openshaw News Posted by Lee Wild

Crews from Withington and Gorton battled for 40 minutes to put out a first floor flat fire on Southcross Road in Gorton on Wednesday.

The fire service was called at 4:10pm after an oil fire broke out in the kitchen of the flat.
The crews used two breathing kits, one hose reel, a short extension ladder and a ventilation fan to tackle the blaze.

One casualty had to be given oxygen therapy following the fire.
The kitchen fire comes days after Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue issued a warning about kitchen safety.

They say most fires they are called to start in the kitchen and are warning people to be careful when cooking in the kitchen.

Deep fat fryers and other such pans with oil are one of the main culprits of kitchen fires; GMFRS guidelines state never to fill a pan more than one-third full of oil, and not to let the oil become so hot it begins to smoke.

They recommend electric deep fat fryers – which are thermostatically controlled – as being a much safer alternative.

Councillor David Acton, Chariman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority said: “It’s so easy to get distracted when cooking, so please make sure you never leave a pan unattended and don’t cook if you’re feeling drowsy, tired or drinking alcohol.

“I would urge people to ditch their chip pans and swap them for safer alternatives such as deep fat fryers. More than half of all house fires start in the kitchen but you can reduce your risk of a serious fire by ensuring you have a working smoke alarm that’s correctly fitted and checked regularly.”

Southcross Road in Gorton

Southcross Road in Gorton