Weather Icon 9°C Overcast
Aldwinians Defeat Upper Eden
Wednesday 28th September 2016 @ 10:58 by Lee Wild

Three tries to two in the first half, including a penalty try, suggested the Audenshaw squad were steadily outplaying their visitors from Kirby Stephen .

Then came a second half with no scoring that frustrated both players and spectators.

It all started to plan with centre James Worrall gaining territory with a long kick that rolled into touch deep in Upper Edens left hand corner.

The line out was won by Mike Singleton and the ball passed through scrum half Jay Bartons hands out to the right but a pass went astray and the visitors survived .

After an exchange of long kicks and mistakes from both sides, Upper Eden were on the attack in midfield and tried a chip over the approaching Aldwinians three quarters.

An alert and well timed reach for the ball by centre Sam Nero enabled an interception and totalling wrong footing the opposition.

He accelerated away to score near the posts on 10 mins with stand off Adam Heath adding the conversion.
From the restart Upper Eden kept play in attacking positions with plenty of effort being put in, notably by their forward trio of South African players.

It was clear that their finishing was a weak point but as the first time quarter was reached, the backs scythed through weak tackling to level the scores at 7-7.

In the set pieces Aldwinians had the edge in the scrums and took their share of line outs.

Good ball was being produced for the backs but poor passes and line kicks prevented pressure being created deep in Upper Eden territory.

Then things did get better as the clock moved on to 35 mins.

This time a useful touch kick to the visitors 22 area set up a line out and drive by the back row.

Upper Eden were under heavy pressure and conceded a penalty;Aldwinians took a scrum then a pick up and drive by no 8 Lewis Quinn to a second scrum.

The visiting pack were in all sorts trouble and were easily pushed back towards their line with the referee awarding a penalty try for collapsing. Heath converted for a 14-7 lead.

Clearly gaining the upper hand Aldwinians should have imposed their superiority from the restart but an inexplicable lapse of concentration and coordination in defence saw the ball passed to nobody 15 metres from the try line,no cover defenders, and an easy pick up and unconverted try on 38 mins.

Yet a minute later ,back on the attack at the other end the Audenshaw pack had their opponents in all sorts of trouble again and Lewis Quinn took the ball at the base and scythed through any opponent who got in his way to secure a 19-12 half time lead.

If the first half had been unpredictable , the second half was unbelievable.

Aldwinians needed one more try for a bonus point yet Upper Eden were still in this game despite the shortcomings in their forward play.

Their deficiency was emphasised again by the 51 st min as the confident Aldwinians pack set up a line out 20 metres out.

Take ball and drives to scrums continued unabated for five minutes and Upper Eden disrupted at every opportunity.

This led to a yellow card leaving the visitors one man down for the next 10 mins.

The forward drives continued and although the referee had already given a penalty try ,and it was clear that they were still disrupting scrums and offending, he refused to make a similar decision.

The Upper Eden players were chuckling by this stage and realised they could get out of jail.

As a result the frustration got to Aldwinians , concentration waned, and they conceded territory as the rest of the game was played out, either in midfield or in their own half .

Fortunately no further scores were conceded.

This week another trip to Cumbria , this time to Hawcoat Park in Barrow.

The coach leaves at 11.15 am.

Trevor Hulmes