Weather Icon 9.4°C Clear
Tuesday 23rd February 2016 @ 10:57 by Mark Phillip
Football Hyde Sports

Following a delayed kick-off, in which the game started at 9pm, Hyde United beat Whitby Town 2-1 last night.

Martin Frost details the action:

The long wait for Gary Lowe’s Hyde team, and their long suffering supporters, finally ended at 10.46 on Monday evening. At the 15th time of asking, and after 119 days, the Tigers finally tasted victory, and picked up what could be 3 invaluable points in their fight to maintain Evostik Premier status.

What turned out to be an entertaining encounter only got underway at 9.00, after visitors Whitby had endured a nightmare trip from the east coast. But the 6 hour journey, caused by a traffic problems on the M62, didn’t appear to have adversely affected the Seasiders, who had climbed out of the relegation spots with a fine run of form in recent weeks. Quicker out of the blocks in the early stages they took the lead in the 16th minute when a corner from the left caused panic in the Hyde defence, leaving McTiernan to poke the ball home. The visitors held the whip hand for the majority if the first half, although Pete Boyle had a couple of chances to draw the Tigers level, grazing the outside of the post with one effort. Signs of a Hyde fightback emerged as the half drew to a close.

The introduction of Reece Gray and Jordan Snodin from the bench after the break introduced far more life into Hyde, and Ayrton Bevins certainly felt the benefit. Short of goals over the winless period the striker, who had been anonymous throughout the first period, burst into life with a vengeance. He snatched the equaliser 7 minutes into the half , following up a cross from Laurie Bell which took a wicked deflection, bemused the keeper, rebounded off the bar and left Bevins with a simple tap in. Bell was impressive throughout the game, and became increasingly influential. Bevins doubled his tally 14 minutes later, with a neat header from a cross from the right, and put Hyde into a lead that they were to hold onto. The remaining 25 minutes saw end to end stuff, but Sam Vince dealt with everything Whitby threw at him. Hyde missed a couple of opportunities to increase their lead as the game drew to a close. It was 3 points hard earned, but more than deserved on the overall display.

Lowe will now be looking for a repeat as the Tigers make the short trip to Hurst Cross on Saturday. If the Tigers display the same purpose, endeavour and effort they displayed on Monday it is certainly a test not to be feared.