Lancashire And Cheshire Amateur Football League Roundup
Thursday 14th January 2016 @ 16:29 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Report by Geoff Garnett

The first full programme of 2016 saw no sign of the wet weather we have endured for several weeks abating as the bulk of the scheduled games were postponed.

In the games played there was a suitable tribute paid to former L and C president and Stoconians stalwart Bob Stafford with players and officials staging a one minute’s silence in his honour following his recent death.

The big Lancashire Cup quarter-final between Rochdalians and Bury GSOB was an early victim of the weather and they will be looking to stage it next week with contingency plans to move the game to 3G if necessary.

Three games were played in the Premier Division and Abacus Media consolidated their place in the top three with a convincing win at Newton and Moston Brook won their mid-table battle with Bedians by the odd goal in three.

The local derby between Parrs Wood Celtic and Chorltonians produced a great display in finishing by Celtic’s Jason Lowe.

The prolific striker is unable to play regularly for his team due to work commitments, but he proved to be the difference between two evenly-matched teams as he scored all four goals in a 4-1 win that keeps Chorltonians in the bottom two.

There were also three games played in Division One and Salford Vics hit the top with a 3-1 win over Old Stretfordians giving them a better goal difference that non-playing previous leaders Tintwistle Athletic.

Newton Heath moved out of the bottom two with an emphatic 4-0 win over Signol Athletic. In a basement battle, Hooley Bridge Celtic and Burnage Metro shared six goals.

Division Two drew a blank and the only game in Division Three had Cheadle Hulme Athletic proving to be too hot to handle as they beat AFC Stockport 6-0 in their local derby.

Oldham Vics bowed out of the Manchester Amateur Cup as they went down 4-2 hosting Irlam Steel seconds.

In Division A, Salford Vics won the game of the day in the division as the leaders beat second-placed High Lane seconds 4-2 and Santos emerged with a 5-4 win in a thriller against Chorltonians Athletic.

Division B had a feast of football with five fixtures being completed.

Whalley Range thirds closed the gap on leaders Signol Athletic seconds to four points, with a game in hand, as a good second half display saw them win 2-1.

There were goals galore in some of the other games with Old Trafford and Gorse Hill seconds winning 9-5 against Droylsden JFC and Mellor thirds enjoyed a 6-3 win over Bury Ams thirds.

Abacus Media seconds made it a good day for the club with a 5-3 victory over Stoconians seconds and in a close encounter Tintwistle Athletic seconds scored the only goal of their game against Govan Athletic seconds.

There was no change in Division C as the top two both won their games by 3-2 with leaders Tintwistle Athletic prevailing at AFC Oldham seconds to stay six points clear of Chorltonians Rovers, who won at Spurley Hey seconds.

Division D also had plenty of goals in the two games played with Parrs Wood Celtic thirds beating Chorltonians Villa 7-5 in their local derby.

It looked like honours were even at 4-4 going into the dying minutes, but a late flurry of goals took Celtic home.

Trafford United seconds kept up their good run of form in a 6-1 cruise against Mellor fourths.

Division E had all the games washed out.