Doodson Cup Delight for Bloods
Sunday 16th November 2014 @ 11:20 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Credit: James Finn – Droylsden FC correspondent.

Droylsden made it five consecutive victories with a 6:0 drubbing of Trafford in the Doodson Sports Cup last Tuesday.

As temperatures around the country drop there’s only one place to be at the minute, and that’s Droylsden. They are on fire and Trafford were the latest side to get burned. The Bloods were given a helping hand from the referee as he decided to send off Trafford keeper Ed Wilczynski on 12 minutes. Droylsden captain Ciaran Kilheeney scored the resulting penalty and it was plain sailing from there.

Trafford actually have a brilliant recent record against Droylsden, winning their three meetings last season (1:5, 1:0, 0:6). Of course last year was a terrible one in general for Droylsden as they were ultimately relegated to the First Division North. They’re on the comeback trail now though and got a sweet taste of revenge tonight.

On 36 minutes Droylsden made it 2:0 as Fernando Moke took it past a few players out wide and swung in a beautiful ball. The Trafford defender who was forced to put on the keepers gloves was lost at sea as Adam Morning took the ball down excellently and slid it into the path of Ben Deegan. He made no mistake and slammed it home. Morning then scored himself on the stroke of half time, after a nice bit of interplay around the box it came to him and he fired it past the keeper to the left of the goal with an excellent shot.

The Trafford manager began the second half in the stands after directing some rather unpleasant language towards the officials in the first half. He felt his side should have had a penalty and was particularly unhappy when they were prevented from taking a quick free kick.

Just before the hour mark it was 4:0, Fernando Moke curled an absolute beauty of a free kick into the far corner from the left of the box. Even a real goalkeeper would have struggled to keep it out. After that it was damage limitation for Trafford. After keeping their shape well in the early stages of the second half they were clearly starting to struggle. Droylsden were dominating possession and looked like scoring from every attack.

The fifth goal came from an unlikely source, right back Ali Brown. After the initial shot was saved, Brown came charging in and smashed it home. Fernando Moke then got his second on 82 minutes and made it 6:0. He simply ran onto the end of a simple through ball and just ran past the keeper. By the end of the game the Trafford players were no doubt praying for the final whistle. All in all a very one sided affair, with Droylsden keeper Russ Saunders not even having to make a save of note.

It’s hard to judge a performance when the opposition is down to 10 men for the majority of the game, but to be fair to Droylsden they made their opponents pay with some great attacking play. They’re now through to the next round and can concentrate on the league again. Make no mistake about it, a cup run is nice, but manager Dave Pace wants nothing less than promotion from his side. At this rate he might get it.