Weather Icon 5.3°C Partly Cloudy
Reilly seals the deal for Curzon
Tuesday 5th March 2019 @ 15:04 by Mark Phillip

National League North

Curzon Ashton 1-0 Guiseley

Curzon returned to winning ways after edging their way to a 1-0 victory over relegation threatened Guiseley.

Despite their current league position, Guiseley played some good football during long periods and were unlucky to return without a point.

Dave Jones covered the action from the Tameside Stadium:

The visitors were forced into an early substitution after a collision between Niall heaton and Curzon’s Sean Miller forced the former to depart the pitch inside a minute.

On 11 minutes Curzon launched their first attack into Guiseley’s half and good play released Oliver Crankshaw down the right but his cross into the box was cleared  with ease.  The best chance in the early stages fell to Jack Dyche when a cross from the right on 13 minute found him 12 yards out, but his effort went high over the crossbar.

Guiseley had the ball in the net on 16 minutes through Scott Garner but the referee blew for a foul.

Curzon won two free kicks from either side of the 18 yard box within two minutes, but both were cleared with an effort on goal the second producing a good save from keeper Marcus Dewhurst.

After piling on the pressure, Curzon eventually took the lead on 25 minutes. Crankshaw’s shot from outside the box forced Dewhurst to parry, and as the ball dropped Lewis Reilly was on hand to poach and slotted past the keeper.

Just after the half hour mark Guiseley should have grabbed an equaliser when Curtis Morrison had two bites of the cherry, his first shot on the edge of the box was blocked but his second he launched high over the crossbar.

The hosts should have doubled their lead in the 40th minute when Crankshaw burst into life down the right and left his marker for dead, before putting in a wicked cross which Reilly couldn’t convert.

In added time of the first half George Cantrill went on a mazy run into the Curzon box and hit a great effort which was equally saved by Cameron Mason.

In the opening stages of the second-half, Guiseley put Curzon under pressure with new signing Joel Senior, on his home debut, saving a certain equaliser with a goal-line clearance.

Luke Wall then came close for the hosts, but his sweetly struck effort drifted just wide of the post, while Jono Hunt’s headed effort was well saved by Dewhurst.

In a bid to take something from the game, Aleks Starcenko made his Guiseley debut and he almost had a dream start. However, his crafty effort from 25 years flew just over the bar and onto the roof of the net.

The visitors pressed for an equaliser deep into injury-time, but Kaine Felix had his two shots blocked and Curzon held on for a valuable victory.