Weather Icon 5.5°C Partly Cloudy
Weekend Review Ashton Rugby Club
Tuesday 15th January 2019 @ 09:49 by Mark Phillip

Thornton Cleveleys 1s 43-10 Ashton 1s

Ashton made the trip to the seaside for a cup game to face the team second in their division who were unbeaten at home. The visitors gave a good account of themselves although tries from Matt Baron and Toby Houghton were their only reward on the day.

Aldwinians 3s 62 -21 Ashton 2s

Ashton had won the reverse fixture but were unable to repeat the feat on their travels. Tries from Jon Lee, Richard Taylor and Joseph Kay, converted by Ryan Selmina, Richard Taylor and Wayne Hadfield, who cheekily ran in behind Jon Lee as he was lining up the final conversion and scuffed the ball just over the bar, ended the game on a humorous note.

A mild Sunday morning welcomed Broughton Park Juniors to Gambrel Bank. The U7s and U8s had good performances, but the U7s in particular improved dramatically as the games went on and confidence grew in both teams.

Ashton U10s v Broughton Park was a win for the home team.

Ashtons U15s were awarded a walk over win v Widnes in their Lancs Cup game.

Ashton Colts 29-10 Crewe and Nantwich

The visitors utilised the width of Ashton’s pitch to score an early try while Isaac Kellet was injured. He left the field for attention in this period. Ethan Green rounded the defence to score at the near the posts, converted by Louis Worthington for a 7-5 lead. Crewe had a strong scrum and were pressuring Ashton but scrum half Jackson managed to feed the back as best he could keeping possession going.

A probing kick lead to confusion in the visitors’ defence and Charlie Mc Callum hacked  through and touched down for an unconverted try. Jake Callaghan rounded off the half with a try out wide and Louis Worthington hit the upright with the conversion attempt. The strong wind advantage Ashton had during the first half meant the 17-5 half-time lead left the game evenly poised.

Vinnie Haywood came on at prop in the second-half and tightened up the scrum, which was boosted further by Kyle James returning from injury mid way through the half. Ashton were soon on the offensive and a driving maul took Ashton 25m upfield from which the home team went blind, but mistook the 5m line for the tryline and went early for the try. A 5m scrum was awarded to the home team from which Charlie McCallum got possession and darted forward before diving over for a crucial try and 22-5 lead. Ashton’s speed in defence was much better and their close quarter tackling stopped Crewe’s drives and  they gradually took control of the game until five minutes from the end when the visitors  scored a try out wide, but it was too late. With the last play Man of the Match Krystian Wieteska stormed down the wing handing off numerous tacklers and getting to the line with sheer will power, scoring at the posts for Louis Worthington to convert for a very hard fought 29-10 win against a strong team.

Ashton remain four points clear of Tarleton  at the top of League D and face a derby trip to Glossop next Sunday 12.30pm .

By Allen Bower