Weather Icon 9.9°C Overcast
Saints March off with the points
Tuesday 29th January 2019 @ 13:42 by Mark Phillip

AMD Premier Division

Aldwinians 11-29 Liverpool St Helens

This game saw a much improved performance on the previous week by the Audenshaw Park team.

The game did not start too well for the home side as an immediate injury to full back Tom Hughes saw him leave the field, to be replaced by the returning Tom Harvey. 

LSH were fast out of the blocks with a quick line-out throw to the front of the line and a breakaway into Aldwinians’ half.

Assisted by a sequence of four penalties in the first 12 minutes, LSH scored a penalty and ensured they kept up the territorial pressure.

The home defence held them at bay and were able to develop their first attack with centre Wade Martin chipping through into space. This was followed in the 18th minute with a strong break by Adam Heath towards the LSH line. He was caught by a defender but took the ball over the line to score and go 5-3 up.

A chance to go further ahead through a Heath penalty attempt was missed, but a run by Andy Gidman ensured LSH were kept in defensive patterns.

When a scrum was formed on the halfway line on the right side, LSH showed their control of the set-piece; the right field then opened up for the scrum half. He sprinted away and scored an opportune try on 33 minutes to regain the lead at 5-8.

An Aldwinians’ penalty from the restart was quickly taken by Matty Ross. This caught LSH cold and earned a further penalty 10 metres further into the 22 area.

From this point the Aldwinians’ pack showed their resolve and produced a sequence of drives and a couple of penalties. 

With the start of the second half came a deterioration in the weather as the rain started to fall.

It did not penetrate the resolve of the visitors who mounted the first attacks through their superior scrummaging.

Their second try came from that platform on 46 minutes with the ball switched into midfield, followed by an unchallenged run through midfield to go 5-15 ahead. 

An Adam Heath penalty provided some solace to get back into bonus point range at 8-15 and then, after a superb run by centre Tom Harvey that took the play towards the try-line, a further penalty by Heath gave hope that there was a way to get in front in the final quarter.

Hopes were dashed almost immediately when an offside at a line-out gave the visitors the opportunity to drive into midfield, work the ball through the backs to the left, and touch down in the corner. A fine kick improved the scoreline to 11-22. 

LSH’s scrum half rounded off a fine performance with a solo effort that saw him break through a number of attempted tackles to score near the posts with five minutes to go and pull away to earn their try bonus point.

by Trevor Hulmes