Weather Icon 9.5°C Clear
Droylsden return to winning ways at Trafford
Monday 3rd December 2018 @ 09:11 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik West

Trafford 3-4 Droylsden
Droylsden came out on the right end of a seven goal thriller at Trafford on Saturday.

Two headers from Sefton Gonzales, a Liam Caddick strike and a Michael Brewster penalty gave Dave Pace’s team three valuable points against a team that had not lost in ten games.

Droylsden fell behind after just three minutes when a Danny Wilkins shot from the edge of the area crept inside the post and could have been two behind a minute later, when Chris Palmer found himself unmarked in front of goal only to clear the crossbar with his attempt.

Droylsden were level after eight minutes, Gonzales heading a Steven Rigby corner into the net and despite the home team having much of the possession, the Bloods took the lead through Liam Caddick on the Quarter hour mark. The midfielder’s shot finding the back of the net after Rigby and Ollie Ford combined on the left to cross.

Both teams had chances to score, Aaron Burns seeing his header blocked at the far post for the hosts while Caddick got on the end of a Rigby cross to head over.

Trafford came out of the blocks in the second half, both Burns and Nightingale causing problems but Droylsden began to counter, Gonzales having a glorious chance to increase the lead, but firing across the goal while a close range Caddick strike was well saved by Carnell.

With ten minutes of the second half played, Gonzales managed to squeeze home his header from a tight angle after Caddick had crossed to make it 3-1 but Trafford were  not finished. Ten minutes later Nightingale’s Free kick on the edge of the box evaded both the Droylsdenwall and Thompson to pull a goal back.

The game was still evenly poised when a Trafford attack broke down and the Bloods’ move ended with Steven Rigby being fouled in the box for Michael Brewster to score from the spot with six minutes left.

Still though Trafford weren’t finished, three minutes later they were back in when Burns got behind Antoine Clarke to cross and Palmer was left with a simple tap in to make it 4-3 but Dave Pace’s team held out for the points.

By Nigel Barlow