Weather Icon 9.6°C Clear
Latics share the points at Tranmere Rovers
Tuesday 27th November 2018 @ 10:04 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

EFL League Two

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Oldham Athletic

Oldham extended their unbeaten run in all competitions to four matches with a 1-1 draw at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

In an entertaining game on a cold afternoon in Merseyside, which attracted 7,150 to Prenton Park, Oldham took the lead in the 40th minute through Johan Branger but were forced to share the points when Connor Jennings struck in the 72nd minute.

The result leaves Olham in 13th spot ahead of Tuesday’s visit of league leaders Lincoln City.

Following the game, manager Frankie Bunn was pleased with the point but thought his side deserved more. “It was blood and guts, typical local derby and we turned up to the party,” he said.

“Again I thought we deserved more from the game and the officiating for me has let us down again.

“It was very good, passionate, knowhow, knowledge, desire, everything we ask for.

“We asked them to start brightly because we were loose last week in the first half and they came out of the blocks, setting the tempo, sticking to it and we put Tranmere to the sword.

“They’ve got a terrific record at home, but I felt we should have got three points.”

Burn praised the 1,300 travelling supporters for their vocal efforts throughout the game: “I asked them on Friday to be vocal and they were certainly that” he said.

“They were always behind the lads which is what we want.

“The players feed on that, they thrive off that and sometimes when luck is going against us we need that support and it does improve the lads performance for sure.”

Oldham entered the game on the back of a 3-1 victory over Cambridge United seven days earlier, and they made their presence felt at Prenton Park in the early stages of the game. Samuel Edmendson had a great chance to put the visitors ahead in the opening minutes but put his headed effort wide of the target.

The hosts were awarded a free-kick in a promising position soon after, but Ollie Banks hit his effort well over the bar and into the Oldham faithful.

Chances were few and far between for either side in the remaining stages of the first half, although Oldham did manage to take the lead in the 40th minute. Gevaro Nepomuceno’s corner found Branger inside the box, and the winger composed himself before slotting past Scott Davies in goal.

Tranmere put Oldham under serious pressure in the opening stages of the second-half, but their efforts to find a way back into the game were almost undone when Sam Surridge, on-loan from Bournemouth, was presented with a one-on-one opportunity with Davies. However, the ‘keeper stood his ground and blocked the shot to the dismay of Bunn in the dugout.

Oldham were to pay a heavy price for their profligacy in front of goal when, in the 72nd minute, a hopeful ball into the Tranmere box made its way to Jennings, who needed no invitation to blast home from close range.

Both sides were unable to find a winner in the dying minutes despite their best efforts to do so.