Chaddy rue missed penalty as AFC Liverpool take the points
Monday 5th November 2018 @ 12:28 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

North West Counties First Division North

Chadderton 1-2 AFC Liverpool


Chadderton were unable to build on their previous 6-2 victory and instead fell to a 2-1 defeat to AFC Liverpool at the Ark Fleetech Stadium.

In what was a feisty encounter with plenty of talking points, including two dismissals and a penalty miss, the visitors took the lead through Callum Schorah in the 19th minute before James McGrane doubled the lead ten minutes into the second-half.

Jordan Butterworth did pull one back for the hosts, though it proved futile as Liverpool held strong to claim their first victory in four matches.

Following the game, Chadderton manager David Fish said: “Strange game today. Neither side got into their stride due to the stop start nature. Lots of cards for a game without a bad tackle. A draw would have been a fair result. Rueing a missed penalty for the second time in 3 games against a side near the top of the league.”

The visitors started the game brightly and almost took the lead in the fifth minute. Drew Lewis hit a shot from eight yards which, after rattling the cross bar, was ruled offside anyway.

The following ten minutes was punctuated with fouls, but once play resumed Liverpool opened the scoring. A quickly taken goal kick sent Schorah on his way, and after composing himself in front of goal he hit an effort past Jordan Hadlow in goal.

Chadderton were given a chance to level matters from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time, but Shawcross had his effort well saved by Lee Carr.

The second-half was just as lively, with Liverpool almost doubling their lead inside four minutes after the re-start. Had it not been for the cross bar, Schorah would have bagged his second fo the afternoon.

Liverpool continued to fire the warning signs, and they eventually scored their second in the 54th minute. Jay McGrane took advantage of some sloppy defending inside the Chadderton box and rifled home from close range.

Chadderton were given a lifeline in the 64th minute when Drew Lewis was sent off for his second bookable offence. Four minutes later, and Chadderton pulled one back through Butterworth’s tremendous free-kick.

But any chance of a Chadderton equaliser was extinguished in the 87th minute, as Dylan O’Connor was given a straight red card for a nasty challenge on Anthony Lyons. The visitors controlled the game from this point and held out for an important victory.