Weather Icon 8.7°C Overcast
Mossley move to second with back-to-back victories
Monday 8th October 2018 @ 10:43 by Mark Phillip

Evo-Stik West

Mossley 3-2 Colwyn Bay

Mossley moved up to second in the table with a hard earned win over Colwyn Bay at Seel Park on Saturday.

The Lilywhites started with an unchanged eleven from the Colne victory and opened in determined fashion once again, taking the lead in the 4th minute.

Aaron Dwyer, on his home debut, completely outfoxed his marker Jamie Ellison and pulled the ball back for Keenen Quansah to drive home from 15 yards for his first goal for the club in his 68th appearance.

Mossley were up and flying, cutting through the visitors defence at regular intervals and the lead was doubled on 13 minutes. Again it was Dwyer beating his marker and crossing low but this time it was Mason Duffy on the end of it and he made no mistake from the edge of the box.

Colwyn Bay responded almost immediately. Diba Musangu made a fabulous save to deny Brizell’s powerful shot but the ball fell kindly to James Barrigan who rifled home the rebound from a tight angle.

Having been over-run and having found a lifeline the visitors manager Craig Hogg made an early tactical substitution, replacing winger Moynes with experienced player/coach Neil Coverley and suddenly the visitors were a different proposition.

Diba Musangu made a stunning save to deny Barrigan a second goal as the visitors threatened to get on top but as the game swung from end to end it was Mossley who scored what proved to be the decisive goal just one minute before the break.

Duffy’s shot was deflected for a right wing corner. Mike Fish floated the flag kick to the far post where Aaron Dwyer rose to head home his first goal for the club.

The second half proved to be a war of attrition for Mossley as they struggled to find the form shown earlier in the match and the visitors packed midfield took control of the game.

However, despite Colwyn Bay dominating the ball Diba Musangu’s goal was rarely threatened. That was until the otherwise outstanding Declan Evans tried a risky tackle in the box and Mendes went down under the challenge for a clear penalty. Josh Brizell cleverly rolled home the penalty to create a nervy last fifteen minutes for the Lilywhites.

Bay again struggled to create clear chances but there was a nervy late moment when the visitors won a 90th minute corner and keeper Patrick Rutter strode forward to win the header and force Izzy Miranda to clear off the line for another corner. This time Diba Musangu caught the cross and with the Bay keeper still in the Mossley box attempted to launch the ball goalwards only to be blocked by an unfair challenge by Coverley who received the game’s only yellow card for his trouble as Mossley held on to the points.

By Mossley Web

Picture by Martyn Nolan