Weather Icon 9.5°C Clear
Fire chiefs in safety plea after firework thrown into Ashton bedroom
Tuesday 16th October 2018 @ 17:35 by Tom Greggan
Ashton Community News Tameside

Local fire chiefs are calling for people to stay safe this bonfire period following a dangerous incident in Ashton on Sunday.

At around 8.40 on Sunday night, fire crews were called a house on Blandford Street in the St Peters area and found smoke coming from the upstairs bedroom.

A firework had been thrown through the window and set fire to the bed. Firefighters used a hose reel to put the fire out and prevent it spreading. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

Now, chiefs are urging people to only use fireworks safely and responsibly.

Group Manager for Tameside and Stockport, Phil Nelson, said: “This is an incident that could have been easily avoided if people weren’t being irresponsible and firing fireworks at each other. Fireworks are explosive devices, not toys, and should be treated as such.

“On this occasion no one was hurt, but, that doesn’t take away from how serious this could have been. A family was inside that house, with small children and they were needlessly put in harm’s way.

“Luckily the house had working smoke alarms so the occupants were quickly alerted to the fire, and were able to get out the house.

“We want everyone to enjoy this period of the year, but please, do it safely. We don’t want any injuries, or needless fires, and this sort of behaviour will quickly lead to them.”

For more safety information, please visit the safe4autumn website and if fireworks are a nuisance in your area phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.