Weather Icon 7.1°C Rain
Curzon record first home league victory
Monday 22nd October 2018 @ 10:49 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

National League North

Curzon Ashton 2-1 AFC Telford Utd

Curzon picked up their first home league victory of the season with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over AFC Telford Utd at the Tameside Stadium.


The Nash got off to a great start when Ryan Brooke put them ahead after only four minutes. After receiving the ball from a corner, Brooke, with his back to goal, swivelled on the spot and hit an effort past Max Bromley at his far post.

Four minutes later Brooke came close again with an audacious effort from around 25 yards out only just creeping above the cross bar. Curzon were full of confidence and on 11 minutes a defence splitting pass caught out Telford but Curzon’s striker Adam Morgan just could not get onto the end of the pass.

With half an hour gone Curzon were the dominant side, playing some great football, winning the second ball and forcing Telford to defend, the only thing missing was the second goal.

The hosts were given a massive boost in the 34th minute when Telford were reduced to ten men for an off the ball incident. While waiting for a corner to be delivered, Jan McAtee was adjudged by the referee to have elbowed Curzon ‘keeper Cameron Mason, knocking him to the ground in the process.

Curzon took advantage of the extra player and almost made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time. Connor Hughes whipped in a cross to Brooke but his headed effort was well saved by Bromley.

On 57 minutes Telford created their best chance of the game. James McQuilkin hit a fierce strike from 25 yards which forced Mason to palm into a dangerous area, but Amari Morgan-Smith was unable to take advantage and headed an effort over the bar.

Telford’s pressure finally paid off four minutes later. Chris Rowney lost possession to Deeney, who in turn found Morgan-Smith and the striker played through Andre brown who fired into the top of the net.

The visitors’ efforts proved to be in vain, however, as Curzon reasserted their lead four minutes later. A corner into the box was flapped at by keeper Bromley and it fell the McJannett who scrambled the ball over the line.

Telford tried their best to level matters in the final 15 minutes but the Curzon defence stood firm and secured their first league victory at the Tameside Stadium.

By David Jones