Weather Icon 5.5°C Partly Cloudy
Curzon slump to defeat against playoff favourites Brackley Town
Saturday 7th April 2018 @ 09:25 by Mark Phillip

National League North

Curzon Ashton 0-2 Brackley Town


A depleted Curzon failed to get anything from high flyers Brackley Town but still remain in 19th place as teams around them also fail to gain points.

After a lively opening to the game, it took less than 12 minutes for the visitors to take the lead. Curzon went behind after failing to react the quickest to a free quick. Hunt gave away a foul on the edge of the box, Shane Byrne hit a low effort which Mason got down to his right to palm away but Shepherd Murombedzi was the quickest to react leaving James Baillie standing to slot the loose ball past Mason.

On 15 minutes Curzon were close to drawing level after  a Ben McKenna cross from the right was met by Ryan Brooke who’s bicycle kick from six yards out went just past Lewis’s goal.

As the game settled Curzon were gaining their fair share of possession, Brackley getting 10 men behind the ball every time Curzon win possession, looking to hit Curzon on the break. Curzon approach play being good to watch but just struggling to break down the resolute Brackley.

Brackley should have gone 2-0 up on 33 minutes, following a corner which was headed goal wards by Gareth Dean, it found Matthew Lowe six yards out but he could only fire his effort over the crossbar.

In the second half Curzon got off to a great start keeping the ball well and working an opening for Ben McKenna who on 46 minutes curled an effort from the left side of Brackley’s box but he sees it goes just inches wide.

Dunwoody got the crowd to their feet on 53 minutes after he skipped past Brackley defenders into the box but his shot was well blocked by Lewis as Curzon started to step up the pressure.

However, Curzon’s lively start to the second half was undone when Brackley doubled their lead in the 57th minute. Sam Walker’s cross-field ball was intercepted by his namesake Adam Walker who, with a free run into the Curzon box slotted past Mason going in off the near post to make it 2-0 and giving Curzon a mountain to climb.

On the hour mark a corner for Curzon saw it hacked away inside the six yard box, it came out to McKenna who was clattered just outside the box, with a great chance for Curzon James Baillie could only hit the wall with his free kick.

On 63 minutes Brackley threatened again from a corner with Byrne having two efforts, his first a header which came back to him and then he dragged his second effort wide of Mason’s post.

On 69 minutes Curzon were awarded another free kick on the edge of the box and another chance to get back into the game but again Baillie hits the wall, the rebound found Dunwoody who’s effort from 22 yards is deflected away for a corner.

Curzon made changes but the Thursday night game was starting to show as the Curzon side started to  as Brackley started to create chances. On 75 minutes Mason had to be alert to save with his legs from a Murombedzi then a minute later Hunt had to make a great challenge to deny Aaron Williams, finally on 79 minutes Lowe inside the box with space dragged his shot wide of the post.

With the game won Curzon still battled away but rarely threatened the Brackley goal, making the game next Wednesday a must win game as they welcome Gainsborough Trinity to the Tameside stadium.

By Dave Jones