Ashton salvage point in the dying seconds to boost playoff credentials
Monday 16th April 2018 @ 10:39 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik Premier Division

Halesowen Town 1-1 Ashton United

An injury time goal from Liam Tomsett rescued a point for Ashton after they had fallen behind to the team next to bottom of the league. With captain Mark lees out injured Nicky Platt moved into midfield but the Robins were unfortunately to go on to pick up two more injuries in their defence.

On a warm sunny day the Yeltz made the first move as loose play in midfield led to Da Veiga Monteiro sending over a cross which Lee Hughes put over the bar after 5 minutes and Carnell was then off his line just in time to deny da veigo Monteiro from Goddard’s pass. On ten minutes the visitors could have moved ahead as stand-in captain Josh Granite got a clear header on to Sam Sheridan’s free kick with only the crossbar preventing the opening goal.

Platt in the home goal then got lucky as he hit a back pass against Evangelinos but collected the rebound and ten minutes ahead of the break Halesowen thought they had opened the scoring as a throw in was knocked home by Ahmed Ali with the ref correctly ruling that it should have been Ashton’s thrown in. Nicky Platt then played Daniel Mooney in and his chip over the keeper saw Charlton back just in time to clear off the line and the half finished with Goddard’s volley from a right wing throw in being beaten away by Carnell.

A great run by Sheridan then saw Evangelinos fail to get enough power behind his shot to beat Platt and Tomsett’s pullback found Deane Smalley firing well over. Tomsett then forced a tip away after a corner had been returned to him but with 20 minutes left the deadlock was broken as sub Roland Agbor made a great run across the area before flicking his shot in to the top corner.

With Ashton now chasing the game Mooney cut inside and forced a good low save out of Platt and with a minute left Evangelinos’s shot came back off the keeper for Tomsett to knock it home from an offside position but entering added time Mooney headed back Woodford’s deep cross for Tomsett to turn and force home the equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game.


By Dave Robinson

Picture: Jez Sayle