Weather Icon 3.3°C Clear
Two treated after chip pan blaze
Friday 16th February 2018 @ 20:49 by Nigel Skinner
Ashton Droylsden Gorton & Openshaw News

Greater Manchester Fire Service is warning of the dangers of chip pans after an emergency call out to at a house in Droylsen on Thursday.

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene following the incident.

Fire engines from Philips Park, Gorton, and Ashton had been called to a property fire on Gorseyfields in Droylsden just before 10.50pm.

The fire involved a chip pan but luckily the fire was already out when the crews arrived.

Two casualties received treatment for smoke inhalation.

Crews remained on the scene for around an hour.

Greater Manchester Fire has issued the following advice around chip pan safety.

  • Remember any type of pan can catch fire – this includes a wok, a grill or a frying pan
  • When deep frying, always dry the food before you put it in the oil
  • Never fill a pan more than one-third full of oil. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool down
  • Swap your chip pan for an electric deep fat fryer – thermostatically controlled electrical deep fat fryers that plug into the wall are much safer to use