Weather Icon 8.7°C Overcast
Hyde maintain title push with victory over Colne
Monday 12th February 2018 @ 11:54 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik First Division North

Hyde United 1-0 Colne

Hyde maintained the pressure on league leaders South Shields with a 1-0 victory over in-form Colne at Ewen Fields on Saturday.

Given the form guide and league positions heading into the tie, Hyde were always favoured to win the match, although Colne were high on confidence after five wins and keen to continue that run with a positive result against Darren Kelly’s side.

Cole manager Steven Cunningham has done an excellent job, putting together a young squad and creating a team who were as good as any side that have visited Ewen Fields this season.

Colne started well and had the better of the opening 10 minutes. Strong in the middle of the pitch, where Hyde missed the influential Janni Lipka, with good pace down each flank. They caused problems for the Tigers and were only let down with their delivery in the final third.

12 minutes in and the Tigers launched their first real attack and a fantastic pass out to Porrett on the Hyde left allowed the in form winger to drop his shoulder, beat his man and deliver a ball toward the Colne goal which took a deflection past the keeper.

Hyde were now able to get some control and started to get on the ball, creating several half chances through David Brown, the industrious Tom Pratt and Luke Porritt.

The second half continued in the same fashion. Hyde were slightly ahead in possession stats, but Colne continued to carry a threat.

The hosts created a few more clear cut chances, with a free kick from Big Khamsuk and a decent shot from Pratt worrying the Colne goal, but it wasn’t all one way traffic, and the Hyde back four had to be on their toes.

The final 15 minutes had both sides making changes, and the Tigers had the chance to finish off Colne as the game became stretched with Dom Marie missing the best chance when a slide rule pass from Tom pratt had him one on one with the keeper 8 yards out, but he failed to get the ball out of his feet firing wide of the left hand upright.

Two minutes of injury time were only notable for an injury to Tyrone Gay and the ref blew full time.

By Mark Worthington

Pictures: Don Goodwin