Weather Icon 8.9°C Overcast
Weekend Review Oldham Hockey Club
Monday 15th January 2018 @ 11:54 by Mark Phillip

Oldham ladies 1s 0-0 Deeside Ramblers Ladies 1s
NTWHL Division 2 SW
Home @ Newman College

The Oldham first team were up against leaders Deeside ramblers after the Christmas break at home in the North division 2 south west.

The away team started strongly and fast, winning a penalty flick after captain Daisy Lord, wearing a protective mask, stopped a certain goal on the line with her chin.

Second team goalkeeper Jen Green stepped in for the injured Sarah Simpson and saved dramatically to her right. Green continued a strong performance with two saves on the floor in the next 10 minutes. After the opening struggles Oldham settled and had three chances on the break. Their tactics worked effectively, slowing down the strong Deeside outfit. However, neither team broke the deadlock as the game became more even.

Throughout the second half Oldham had the clearer chances and hit the post twice through Francesca Lees and Rebecca Blair.
Deeside didn’t have a shot on target throughout the second half as Oldham’s concentration and shape held strong throughout. A thoroughly deserved point which lifts Oldham two places off bottom to a more respectable 10th. Oldham head to Bolton this weekend to continue their rise up the table.

Oldham ladies 3s 0-6 City of Manchester 2s
Home @ Newman college

Oldham 3s suffered a 6-0 defeat to table toppers and currently undefeated City of Manchester 2’s. Katie Hargreaves was deservedly awarded Oldham’s Player of the Match.

Oldham mixed 1-0 Stretton mixed
Greater Manchester Mixed Hockey League

Oldham’s mixed team were victorious in their battle against Stretton. Sheer grit and determination allowed them to slip one past the opposition and defend resolutely to gain a 1-0 win.

Oldham Ladies 4s 1-3 Prescot Ladies 3s
Greater Manchester Women’s Friendly League

The final score didn’t reflect the state of play. Oldham stormed out from the first whistle to gain control of play, having several shots at goal in the first few minutes. This remained the case throughout the majority of the first half and frustratingly no shots hit the wood. Unfortunately for Oldham, Prescot had several attempts on goal and made all three count, giving them a 3-0 advantage. After a rousing half time pep talk the 4s trotted back on with heads up. For the next 35 minutes Oldham’s defence stayed strong against numerous Prescot attacks, keeping formation close and tight. Oldham made a great break with Daisy on the wing taking it up the pitch and making a great pass to Fran to finish off. Oldham’s supporters went wild, especially injured captain Holly Morgan-Clague. A 3-1 defeat but as usual all 4s kept their heads high, showing determination throughout the full match.

Oldham Juniors Tournament

Oldham u13s were in action at a tournament at the Armitage Centre on a very cold Sunday afternoon. The boys faced some fierce opposition losing their first three matches but then, after finding their feet and gaining in confidence, they drew their last two games with Josh Russell scoring against Stockport and Ben Casella, the youngest player in the tournament, scoring an amazing equaliser in the final game against Urmston.

The girls had an inspirational afternoon, winning and dominating their first three games. Megan Russell, Amy Naylor and Regan Lord finding the net numerous times. They then drew their fourth and lost 1-0 to Alderley Edge in a very close fought match.

By Hayley Jackson