Midweek Football Review
Wednesday 24th January 2018 @ 09:53 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Checkatrade Trophy Quarter-Final:

Oldham Athletic’s dreams of appearing at Wembley Stadium were crushed at Shrewsbury Town in the Checkatrade Trophy Quarter-Final.

Stefan Payne gave the home side the lead early in the first half before Aaron Holloway equalised on 68 minutes.

However, Shrewsbury grabbed a winner in the 88th minute through substitute Alex Rodman. After finding space inside the box, Rodman fired into the bottom corner.


Evo-Stik Premier Division:

Ashton United extended their unbeaten run to 16 matches with a 1-0 victory over Stourbridge at Hurst Cross. The result has subsequently kept the Robins’ title chances alive, as they now sit in fourth spot and ten points below leaders Altrincham with one game in hand. The two sides have yet to play each other this season. A match report from last night can be found here.



Evo-Stik First Division North:

Droylsden’s playoff chances took a blow on Tuesday as Clitheroe claimed a 3-0 victory at the Butchers Arms.

The visitors opened the scoring in the eight minute from a set piece. After finding himself unmarked inside the box, Brad Carroll fired home from close range.

It took less than ten minutes for Clitheroe to double their lead through Kurt Willoughby. A wonderfully timed pass from Alex Newby found Willoughby in bags of space, and the striker finished past Branagan in goal. In the process, Willoughby took his tally to 21 for the season, making him the divisions leading scorer.

The game was put to bed by the 23rd minute when Clitheroe notched their third of the evening. A long ball forward to Newby gave him time and space to dart forward and fire past Branagan.

Elsewhere, Hyde United ran riot and beat Mossley 5-1 to keep their title chances alive.

The Tigers took a 2-0 lead through Harry Coates and Dominic Marie, but Mossley equalised through Liam Ellis on the stroke of half-time.

However, a second-half masterclass gave Hyde the victory, with three goals in the last 15 minutes from karl Jones, David Brown and Matt Beadle securing the points.

The result leaves Hyde three points below leaders South Shields, and the two sides meet on Saturday.

Video highlights from the game can be found here.

Glossop’s playoff hopes were dealt a blow after suffering a 1-0 defeat to Bamber Bridge at Surrey Street. Adam Dodd scored the decisive goal in the 80th minute to extend Bamber’s unbeaten run to seven matches. The Hillmen are now three points outside the playoff zone.