Glossop fight back three times to earn valuable point in quest for the playoffs
Monday 29th January 2018 @ 14:50 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik First Division North

Glossop North End 3-3 Ossett Town

Glossop had to come from behind three times to earn a 3-3 draw against Ossett Town at Surrey Street on Saturday.

Ruben Jerome started his second game for the Hillmen, and the former Droylsden striker scored either side of Callum Chippendale’s strike to earn Glossop a valuable point in their quest for the playoffs.

The result leaves Paul Phillips and Steve Halford’s side in eighth spot and two points outside the playoffs, although they do have games in hand on the teams immediately above them.

Saturday’s encounter marked the first time that the two sides had met this season, and with Ossett’s chances of reaching the playoffs hanging by a thread, the visitors needed a victory to keep their hopes alive.

The Yorkshire outfit were the better side in the opening stages and their efforts were rewarded inside 15 minutes. A neat passage of interchanging play between Jason Yates, Anthony Mackie and Craig Nelthorpe ended at the feet of Ashley Jackson, who struck a fine effort into the bottom corner, leaving keeper Phillips with no chance.

Jackson soon turned from hero to villain, giving away a needless foul in a dangerous area. The resulting set piece made its way to Adam Jones who headed onto the bar. However, Jerome was quickest to react and smashed home the rebound from close range.

It took just 17 minutes for the visitors to re-take the lead. Having won a free-kick on the right, Nelthorpe found himself in space and fired past Phillips for his third goal in as many games.

The Hillmen were lucky not to be 3-1 down in the opening stages of the second half. Seon Ripley came within inches of converting Pembleton’s cross-cum-shot at the far post.

Despite the scare, Glossop responded well and drew matters level in the 63rd minute from another set piece. A long punt into the box found Chippendale at the back post who struck home from close range.

The hosts, in the ascendency by this point, heaped piles of pressure on the Ossett defence. However, Glossop’s endeavour to take the lead for the first time in the game ultimately worked against them, as a clinical counter attack ended with Mackie striking home from the edge of the box to give Ossett a 3-2 lead.

Glossop went in search of an equaliser immediately after the re-start. To the delight of the Surrey Street faithful, a long ball into the box made its way to Ben Deegan, who nodded down towards Jerome who struck past Leigh Overton in goal.


Pictures: Steve Dyson