Weather Icon 9.4°C Clear
Robins’ turnaround extends unbeaten league run to four games
Monday 6th November 2017 @ 14:29 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik Premier Division

Coalville Town 1-2 Ashton United

A second half turnaround saw Ashton bring back all 3 points from the Mander Cruickshank Solicitors’ Stadium despite missing a penalty after they had trailed at the interval. With Matty Chadwick injured Jack Dyche took over at centre forward with John Roberts starting in midfield and goalkeeper Carnell was called into action early on as Blair Anderson’s cross was redirected straight at him by Nat Watson.

At the other end a great combination then saw Liam Tomsett’s cross glanced wide of the far post by Dyche when anywhere on target would have brought a goal. On 13 minutes the opening goal arrived as another Anderson cross saw Creaney’s knockdown afford Watson the room to squeeze the ball home at the near post. A corner for the Ravens then saw Dominic Smalley’s clearance reach Watson who fired wide before Smalley made a great run into the opposing penalty area but fired his left foot effort right across goal.

Manager Banim made a bold move at the interval bringing on his final two subs in the shape of Johnson and Evangelinos and within six minutes the later hit a shot straight at Hannis which he spilt allowing Platt to bundle the ball over the line from an offside position. Immediately Aaron Chalmers’ pass saw Dyche fouled just inside the area by the onrushing Hannis but Chalmer’s woeful penalty saw the keeper make an easy save to his left. Platt’s through ball then saw Dyche head over Hannis with the ball drifting wide but Hannis was again in the action as his attempted clearance hit Torr leaving Johnson with a completely unguarded goal.

With the scores now level but unlikely to remain so Bryant’s right wing cross found Watson firing over as he leant back before a corner lead to an unbelievable scramble in the home area which culminated in Johnson’s shot hitting the post and a quick break then resulted in a corner at the other end from which Watson headed directly at Carnell. Will Beesley’s cross was then deflected just too far ahead of both Dyche and Johnson with Chalmers heading the resulting corner just over from close in.

With the visitors now rampant John Roberts’ measured pass sent Beesley to the by line from where his cross was fired into the roof of the net by a jubilant Mason Fawns for his debut goal in just his second appearance and there was still time for another Beesley cross leading to Johnson hitting the post with Evangelinos firing home the rebound, once again denied by the linesman’s flag.

Following the game, manager Jody Banim spoke to George Clayton about the result:

Team: Carnell, Smalley, Beesley, Eckersley (Platt 46), Chalmers, Lees, Roberts, Tomsett (Evangelinos 32), Dyche, Pilkington (Johnson 46), Fawns. SNU: Kaba, Woodford.

By David Robinson

Picture: Jez Sayle