One person treated after chip pan blaze
Friday 24th November 2017 @ 20:43 by Nigel Skinner
Hyde News

One person needed to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation yesterday following a fire at a house in Hyde.

Firefighters were called to deal with a chip pan blaze at a property on Nicholson Road.

The fire started at 12.20pm with a fire engine from Hyde Fire Station attending the scene.

Firefighters helped to treat the casualty before they were handed over to the care of paramedics.

Crews were at the scene for around 45 minutes.

Following the incident Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service issued the following safety information, urging residents to stay safe in their homes.

Give food a thought… being careless in the kitchen can cost lives! 

Most house fires GMFRS staff members are alerted to start in the kitchen so please help us to keep you and your family safe by reading the information below.

Cookers and microwaves

  • Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from your cooker
  • Keep your oven, hob and grill clean. A build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
  • Don’t put anything metallic, such as cutlery or tin cans inside the microwave
  • Never put a sponge or dishcloth in the microwave to sterilise it – it could catch fire
  • Take care if you are wearing loose clothing whilst cooking with gas – this can easily catch fire


Electrics

  • Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water
  • Check the toaster is clean and away from curtains and kitchen rolls
  • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used and service them regularly
  • Don’t overload sockets – only use one plug in each socket
  • If you have to use more than one plug per socket, use a fused adaptor and keep the total output to no more than 13 amps

Frying food/chip pans

  • Remember any type of pan can catch fire – this includes a wok, a grill or a frying pan
  • When deep frying, always dry the food before you put it in the oil
  • Never fill a pan more than one-third full of oil. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool down
  • Swap your chip pan for an electric deep fat fryer – thermostatically controlled electrical deep fat fryers that plug into the wall are much safer to use

 If your pan catches fire:

  • Don’t panic and don’t take risks
  • Don’t move the pan
  • Never throw water or use a water fire extinguisher on a hot fat fire
  • If it’s safe to do so – turn off the heat, but never lean over the pan to reach the controls
  • Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, tell everyone else in the home to get out and don’t go back inside for any reason
  • Call 999

Finally… remember a working smoke alarm will give you those precious seconds to escape.

To book a free Safe and Well visit call 0800 555 815.