Weather Icon 9°C Overcast
MATCH REPORT Glossop North End 2-3 Prescot Cables
Monday 6th November 2017 @ 10:51 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Evo-Stik First Division North

Glossop North End 2-3 Prescot Cables

An extraordinary spell of three goals in seven second half minutes saw the visitors take the points at Surrey Street on Saturday, and the truth is they probably deserved them.

Glossop were missing four centre halves through injury, with Jason Gorton, Lewis Lacy and Jason Hill being joined by Adam Jones after a midweek injury and eventually their makeshift defence gave way, but they hadn’t received much protection from those in front of them throughout the second half.

The first half had been even, although GNE came away from it with a one-goal lead via Callum Chippendale.  On the half hour he showed determination at the edge of the box to bustle his way through two tackles.  It left him through on goal and he finished nicely for the lead.

Prior to that Zeph Thomas had had a shot blocked for Glossop, and Dale Johnson had driven over the bar after Thomas’s smart pass gave him an opening, but Prescot had not been watching on – they had had a shot blocked on the line, Lloyd Dean’s shot had been deflected just wide and Dan Burn hit the bar when he looked certain to score.

By contrast, the second half was almost all Prescot.  GNE could not make the ball stick up front nor win it in midfield and the makeshift back four played manfully to keep Cables out. Dean headed wide, Dan Burn had a shot saved by Phillips who also saved well from Fernandes.  It looked a matter of time before Prescot levelled, and suddenly GNE doubled their lead.

Jude Oyibo got the ball in midfield and slipped a pass between the defence.  Tunde Owolabi beat the offside trap and rounded the goalkeeper at the edge of the area as he came to meet him and slid the ball home.

At 2-0 and with 15 minutes left, fans could be forgiven that this was an occasion where the side had shown great resilience to take points they might not deserve, but Prescot had other ideas.  On 78 minutes a free kick on halfway was launched into the box, not cleared effectively and slotted home by Dean from the edge of the box. 2-1

Three minutes later they were level. Cables burst down the right side and put in a wicked cross into the middle.  Dean was free and leapt to head the equaliser.

GNE were reeling.  The defence had soaked up so much pressure throughout the game but now that the dam had burst they could not contain Prescot and sure enough the winner came with 81 minutes on the watch.

This time the attack came down the left as some tricky wing play got them to the byline, and the cross across the face of goal was finished by the aptly named Jordan Wynne, sealing victory for his club.  It left the Hillmen shellshocked and they had no answer.

By Jonathan Haggart