Weather Icon 7°C Mostly Cloudy
Glossop North End earn FA Trophy replay
Monday 27th November 2017 @ 10:50 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Glossop North End earned an FA Trophy third qualifying round replay after a goalless draw against Workington on Saturday afternoon.

Both sides created chances but could not find the end product in a competitive tie sometimes played in difficult weather conditions at Surrey Street, with the game passing a morning pitch inspection.

Glossop went close midway through the first half when Chris Baguley’s free-kick from 25 yards curled over the wall and narrowly wide of the post. The midfielder then shot sharply on the swivel with an effort which Workington keeper Aaron Taylor blocked before the rebound hit a defender and fell into Taylor’s arms.

The Hillmen lost Callum Chippendale to injury in the first half as he was replaced by Zeph Thomas, who scored his first two Glossop goals in the previous round of the competition against Leek Town, seven minutes before the interval.

Workington had their moments to steal victory too as Glossop keeper and joint-manager Paul Phillips had to make a couple of smart saves, including to thwart Connor Tinnion early on, while Robert Wilson drilled a low shot just wide in the second period.

All in all, the Hillmen will be pleased to get a second crack against the Evo-Stik Premier Division side at Borough Park on Tuesday night (November 28) and await the draw for the First Round Proper on Monday afternoon.


Glossop North End: Paul Phillips, Mark Haslam, Matty Russell, Matt Russell, Lewis Lacy, Courtney Meppen-Walter, Jude Oyibo (Lee Rick 84′), Gary Gee (c), Dale Johnson (Tunde Olowabi 76′), Callum Chippendale (Zeph Thomas 38′), Chris Baguley.

Substitutes not used: Kane Hickman, Jason Hill.

Workington: Aaron Taylor, Matthew Douglas, Gari Rowntree (c), Daniel Wordsworth, Joshua Calvert, Robert Wilson, David Symington, Jordan Holt, Scott Allison, Samuel Joel (Nathan Waterson 75′), Conor Tinnion.

Substitutes not used: Thomas Fowler (GK), Jamie Mellen, James Earl.

Referee: Elliott Swallow (Lancashire)
Attendance: 368