Weather Icon 8.9°C Overcast
Fire safety warning after Ashton flat blaze
Monday 27th November 2017 @ 11:59 by Nigel Skinner
Ashton News Tameside

Fire crews are reminding residents about the safety risks of smoking after a flat fire in Ashton.

Three fire engines from Ashton and Stalybridge were called to a property in Lower Green at 10pm on Saturday.

The fire was in the bedroom of the flat and firefighters used four breathing apparatus and two hose reels to tackle the blaze before clearing smoke from the flat with a positive pressure fan.

The fire is believed to have been caused by carelessly discarded smoking materials and firefighters are reminding the public of the fire safety risks of smoking.

They urge people to always ensure cigarettes are put out fully and disposed of carefully, warning that more people die in fires caused by smoking than in fires caused by anything else.