Tigers tamed by Owls in FA Trophy clash
Monday 9th October 2017 @ 13:28 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

FA Trophy Preliminary Round

Cleethorpes Town 2-1 Hyde United

Hyde were unable to extend their unbeaten run to 24 games on Saturday and fell to a 2-1 defeat at Cleethorpes Town in the FA Trophy Preliminary Round.

The two sides entered the game in fine form. Cleethorpes are currently top of the Evo-Stik South after an unbeaten start to the season, while Hyde extended their unbeaten run to 23 games with a 4-0 win over Atherton Collieries just four days earlier.

Despite entering the fixture with confidence, Hyde found themselves two behind by the half-time break. Danny North opened the scoring in the 30th minute and registered a second from the penalty spot just 11 minutes later.

Karl Jones pulled one back for the Tigers in the opening stages of the second-half, but despite their best efforts to take something from the game, Hyde were unable to grab a second and tasted their first defeat since March.

Cleethorpes started the stronger side and had numerous chances to take the lead. However, they were made to wait until the half hour before registering the first of the afternoon.

Jack Richardson’s endeavour to keep the ball in play was rewarded when his cut back was slotted home from close range by North.

Hyde found themselves two behind on the stroke of half-time. Richardson darted towards goal and drew a foul from the keeper, leaving the referee with no alterative but to award a spot kick, for which North converted into the bottom corner.

To their credit, Hyde responded well in the opening stages of the second-half and pulled once back through Jones. The striker raced through on goal and slotted past Walton with real class.

The Tigers were then awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position but failed to make the most of their chance, before north almost grabbed his third with a strike that went over the bar.

Chances were few and far between in the dying stages but when they did materialise, they fell the way of Cleethorpes.

Andy Taylor’s cross into the box was blasted over the bar by Luke Aldrich.