Weather Icon 15.7°C Partly Cloudy
MATCH REPORT Chadderton held to second draw in four days
Monday 2nd October 2017 @ 14:08 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Chadderton were held to a 2-2 draw by Holker Old Boys in the North West Counties League First Division on Saturday.

It took Chadderton just three minutes to open the scoring when neat play between Luke Heron and Leon Iluobe ended with the latter converting.

The hosts almost doubled their lead two minutes later when Vinny howell had a goal bound effort cleared off the line.

However, Holker hit back in the fifth minute with a well worked goal down the right. Robbie Wallace hit a strike past Mike Smith into the top corner.

Despite the equaliser, Chadderton continued to attack and created numerous good openings.

Iluobe went clear and shot over, before Howell’s cheeky back flick shit looped just over the bar.

Heron also went close but was unable to guide Howell’s cross on target.

Chaddy continued to play some good football despite the conditions, with Dom Welsby and Aaron Holton again impressive in the heart of the Chadderton midfield. On 41 minutes Dale Minor and Iluobe exchanged a 1-2 but Dale’s shot was saved. Chaddy survived a scare on 44 minutes when a Holker break led to them beating captain Mike Smith but James Dwyer was there to clear off the line.

The second half saw Chaddy almost go in front when Heron shot just wide of the Holker keeper’s left hand post. There then followed a good period by Holker, who certainly were determined to fight and not give up on the game and they saw a bit more of the ball for a short time. Smith was called on several times to make saves, the best being from a deflected shot and he reacted brilliantly to turn it away for a corner.

On 63 minutes, Chaddy finally got the breakthrough in front of goal they’d been threatening. Good work on the left by Chris Pauley saw him cross and Iluobe scored with a looping header to make it 2-1.

Tank made a couple of substitutions, Andy Bainbridge going off to be replaced by Nathan Chorlton, Vinny Howell changed for Devon Matthews.

As the game was entering its dying stages, disaster struck, as a mistake on the left gave Holker possession and the chance to capitalise on the break. They raced away and Nathan McHugh slotted the ball past Mike Smith for an equaliser that had never seemed on the cards.

Chadderton piled on the pressure in search of a winner and substitute Quinlan almos

The result leaves Chadderton only 5 points off the play-offs, unbeaten in 4 league games, and only beaten three times in eight away games.

They travel to St Helen’s on Saturday.

Attendance : 88 

By Mark Hutton

Picture: Chadderton’s official website