Weather Icon 7.1°C Scattered Clouds
MATCH REPORT Chadderton knocked out of FA Vase at Litherland
Sunday 24th September 2017 @ 12:25 by Mark Phillip
Football Oldham Sports

Chadderton’s campaign in the FA Vase came to an end in the second qualifying round at Litherland on Saturday, as Mark Howard’s men suffered a 3-2 loss.

Chaddy went into this game as the only team to take any points off REMY in a thrilling 3-3 draw in the league game also at Litherland Sports Park so they knew they were more than capable of getting a result against the Liverpool side.

Chaddy opened up like an express train, heaping wave after wave of pressure onto the REMY defence and after 5 minutes the first goal came, a powerful header from a corner by Andrew Bainbridge made it 1-0.

Five minutes later and Chadderton had doubled their lead, pressure forced another corner and this time Bainbridge flicked a volley into the back of the net.

The REMYCA defence were creaking under the pressure now and a third goal looked inevitable as good work on the left by Luke Heron saw a Gareth Hill deflected shot just held by the keeper. 21 minutes saw a rasping pile driver from Dale Minor, who can certainly hit a ball, just turned over as the REMY keeper was called into action yet again. A minute later and there seemed an excellent shout for a Chaddy penalty as Vinny Howell was felled in the box, but the referee waved play on. Leon Iluobe then joined in the relentless attacking and had a good shot after the ref had played the advantage to Chadderton.

As has happened more than once this season, from a position of absolute dominance over teams, Chaddy seemed to let REMYCA back in the game, with the smallest man on the field, Josh Hamilton reducing the arrears with a finish that was hotly protested by captain Mike Smith and the rest of the Chaddy defence. 1-2

On 33 minutes a lovely 1-2 between Luke Heron & Gaz Hill should have restored Chaddy’s 2 goal advantage but the REMYCA keeper saved. HT 1-2

REMY were now forcing their way back into the game, as a side of their quality always will if allowed. On 49 minutes they netted but it was offside. On 53 minutes Chaddy had a couple of free kicks, one for a particularly nasty looking challenge on Aaron Holton which might have easily been a red card on another day.

On the hour came the goal which REMYCA had been threatening, a cross from the right and David Crist headed the equaliser, game most definitely on now.

63 minutes saw Vinny Howell making another weaving run through the middle, but he took a fraction too long to decide to shoot or pass and was dispossessed.

The ever lively Leon Iluobe broke through on the right on 65 minutes but couldn’t find the pass needed to Craig Schumann.

Tank then brought on Nathan Chorlton in place of Gaz Hill and then shortly after was forced into a reorganisation when Leon Iluobe took a knock and had to come off. With no attacking options on the bench, Jimmy Dwyer was pushed up front and Devon Matthews came on in defence for his first appearance since the opening day win at Carlisle City.

The killer blow now came on 83 mins from a REMYCA counter attack a cross came in and Harry Little converted from a tight angle : 3-2 and that was how the game ended with everyone utterly dejected.

REMY hadn’t conceded in five games before game, and Chaddy have scored five times against them in two games, proving that they can do it against the best.

Next up : New Mills at home.

By Mark Hutton