Weather Icon 2.5°C Mostly Cloudy
Hyde take the bragging rights in derby day win against Stalybridge
Sunday 16th July 2017 @ 09:59 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Hyde beat local rivals Stalybridge 4-3 to claim the Ray Stanley Memorial Shield on Saturday.

Darren Kelly’s side set up 4-4-2 against Bridge who were in a 5-3-2 and it was the home side who looked sharp from the whistle, controlling the ball and the play in the opening exchanges.

Hyde took the lead when the Stalybridge keeper was slow off his line for a back pass, taking a heavy touch, allowing the Hyde No.10 to knick it off his toes before the keeper cleaned him out. The diminutive David Brown stepped up and fired the ball into the corner of the goals, sending the bridge keeper the wrong way. 1-0 Hyde

Paddy Miller had to leave the field following a slight knock to his ankle, and although Hyde should have scored a couple more, including a fantastic break away attack from a Bridge corner which had the Hyde No.10 shooting on goal after four passes and 4 seconds, forcing the Bridge keeper into making an outstanding save, it was Bridge who capitalised on some sloppy tracking of a midfield run on to a through ball which was fired home into the Hyde goal. 1-1

With half time approaching Hyde again broke through midfield, turning the flat and less than dynamic Stalybridge back five, allowing Ryan Ellison to run clear before curling the ball in from the right hand touch line where it was spilled into the goal by the Bridge keeper.

The second half saw several changes from Bridge, with them reverting to a 4-4-2, and a definite shift up in their general intensity and pace of play, but Hyde reacted well and continued to dominate the ball and the midfield with Janni Lipka in imperious form along side the very talented Timmy Raheem. Several half chances were created and it was no surprise when they extended their lead, with Timmy Raheem cleverly opening up the inside right channel to race into the box, beating the keeper, with his shot cannoning back off the bar before being clinically smashed home on the half volley by the left peg of Pete Boyle to make it 3-1 to Hyde and 3 in 3 for the young striker.

Bridge pulled one back to make it 3-2 following another moment where the boys switched off, but Hyde continued to play and scored their fourth through Karl Jones making it 4-2 with 15 minutes remaining. Players were rolled on, with Sanchez Payne catching the eye in midfield.

Although Stalybridge managed to score a third in the final 5 minutes through their excellent number 17, the game was never as close as the scoreline suggests.

By Mark Worthington

Picture: Jez Sayle