GMFRS Watch Manager asks for care in the kitchen
Tuesday 18th July 2017 @ 12:06 by Nigel P.
Ashton Community Droylsden Gorton & Openshaw News

 

A  GMFRS demonstration of just how high flames from an ordinary chip pan go, 

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service Watch Manager, has asked house -holders to exercise greater care around cookers following the latest kitchen fire in Tameside.

Speaking following a fire at a house in Lewis Road , Droylsden, Chris Hanson of Blue Watch at Ashton Fire Station, said: “Please make sure you switch off your hob at the wall as it can stop these kinds of accidents.

“Make sure you store any flammable items, such as tea towels, away from sources of heat like the hob.

In the latest fire it appears that a blaze that had started due to a hob being left on and was extinguished before fire-fighters arrived.

The call to GMFRS went out just before 9 pm on Monday evening and  three crews from Philips Park, Ashton and Gorton responded.

When the crews arrived they used a thermal imaging camera to ensure that the fire was completely extinguished.

Crews also used a specialist fan to clear smoke from the property, firefighters were on the scene for approximately 30 minutes.

 

For further information on staying safe in the kitchen, visit our website: http://manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/fire_safety_advice/safety_in_kitchen/