Hyde man found guilty of attack on Ashton pensioner in her own home
Thursday 6th April 2017 15:51 Ashton Hyde News Posted by Tom Greggan

Twenty-three-year-old Stephen Mortin from Hyde faces going to prison ‘for a very long time’ after being found guilty of charges relating to the attack on disabled Ashton grandmother Barbara Dransfield.

Mrs Dransfield, who has one leg and was attacked while she was in her wheelchair at her Ashton home last July, suffered horrific injuries in the attack and was left in a coma for two weeks afterwards.

Mortin, of Rutland Street, Hyde, was found guilty by Jury this afternoon at Minshull Street Crown Court of charges of committing unlawful wounding and conspiracy to rob. He had denied the charges.

In summing up, Judge Driver QC told Mortin: “You are going to prison for a very long time, in my opinion you are a dangerous person.” In response Mortin shook his head.

But the judge told him: “You are shaking your head, but I am nodding mine. I have grave concerns about you and you should fear the worst.”

The judge then thanked the jury and told the court: “Anyone found guilty of these charges will go to prison for double figures.”

Nathan Clark, 24, of no fixed abode, had already pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery and causing GBH with intent.

Both he and Mortin will be sentenced in six weeks time.

The judge added: “Both of these men are going to be inside for a long time.”

Liam O’Shaughnessy, 29, of Moorfield Drive, Hyde, charged alongside Mortin with conspiracy to rob Mr Dransfield, was found not guilty this afternoon and was free to go.