Weather Icon 8.4°C Rain
Guilty Killer who was refused ‘leave to remain’ months before he murdered his victim
Friday 28th April 2017 @ 14:39 by Nigel P.
Gorton & Openshaw Longdendale News Tameside


Ming Jiang found guilty of murder at Minshull Street Crown Court today

A Chinese man who had only been allowed to stay in the country pending an appeal after being refused ‘Further leave to remain’ in the UK, has been found guilty of murdering his wealthy friend.

Ming Jiang, 43 was found guilty at Minshull Street Crown Court of the “ruthless and brutal” murder of his fellow countryman, in order to assume his identity, giving him access to his accounts to feed his ‘VIP’ gambling lifestyle.

Jiang, originally from Shanghai, lured his wealthy victim 36 -year-old Yang Liu, also Chinese, to his small flat in Beswick, East Manchester, where police believe he was killed almost immediately.

Between October 5th and October9th Jiang went about the business of disposing of Yang Liu’s body.

According to the prosecution he cut off Liu’s head in a “chopping move” then set about removing the hands and feet to avoid identification of the body.

He needed time to activate his plan to drain Yang’s accounts and sell his apartment, a plan that had he been successful would have netted him nearly half a million pounds.

After dismembering the body in what scientist’s have stated would have taken “some knowledge and a high degree of skill” he then took the body out to what he thought was an isolated lay-by on the outskirts of Glossop.

There he dumped the body and sought to further destroy identification evidence by setting it on fire.

In what he must have thought was the perfect crime he did not reckon on mobile phone tracking systems and Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras, that had tracked his journey from when he left his flat with the body to the lonely lay-by on the main A628 route between Sheffield and Manchester.

The fire attracted the attention of passing drivers and the next morning, October 10th, walkers discovered the grisly charred contents stuffed into a samsonite suitcase.

The fire and the discovery of the torso at around 11.00 am the following morning gave police a time line in which to focus their search of ANPR records.

Within hours of Yang Liu’s last known sighting close to Ming Jiang’s flat that was to become his place of execution, Jiang had already accessed his passwords and account details and began milking the account contents.

But instead of maximising his withdrawals and making his escape before the body could be identified, the degenerate gambler was back in his favourite 235 Casino playing poker and roulette.

Jiang’s arrogance appears to have had no bounds as he not only imitated a high tech version from the plot of “The talented Mr Ripley” he even gave himself the email address alluding to the Highsmith novel [email protected].

His undoing came when police investigators trawling through sightings of vehicles recorded around that time line in the area where the body was dumped, realised a silver Mercedes B class registered to Jiang was recorded in that location.

He immediately became a person of interest and police were helped because Jiang’s Mercedes was not taxed or insured.

That gave police the pretext to seize the vehicle from him as he dined in a Chinese restaurant, nine days after the torso had been found.

Jiang was approached in a low key way by plain clothes officers and told his vehicle would have to be impounded because it was not taxed.

His personal identification details were taken and he was allowed to leave the area.

All the while he remained cool asking the dectective if he “was likely to get a criminal record for having no tax and insurance?”

This gave police the chance to forensically examine the Mercedes and when blood traces were found in the boot, he was arrested the following evening, again at his favourite 235 Casino in Manchester in the midde of a poker game.

His flat was forensically examined and found to contain a huge amount of blood and DNA evidence linking Jiang’s flat and Jiang to the torso found in the lay-by.

Because Jiang was found to be in possession of Yang Liu’s passport and credit card, police concentrated on matching Yang’s DNA with that of the torso.

All the time he was being questioned by police Jiang sought to cover his tracks with well thought out explanations and accounts of his actions and movements.

However as police discovered more and more about the identity of the victim and a fuller picture of Jiang’s activities he changed his account to suit the evidence each time.

He brazenly claimed that he was in a gay relationship with the previously married Yang Liu, claiming he approached Yang (who he already knew) after seeing his imageless profile on a gay dating site. He also claimed that Yang worked as a gay escort. None of these claims wee ever established as fact.

Finally as police were able to show evidence placing his Mercedes at the lay-by and forensic evidence from his flat, as well as fraudulent transactions on Yang Liu’s accounts, he introduced a shadowy third man into his story, called John Wong.

Jiang claimed that it was John Womg (a powerful underworld figure) who he said he had access to his vehicle.

He had been driving the car, the night the torso was dumped just past the small village of Tintwistle, near Glossop.

He then went on to elaborate to the police and later court how “John Wong’ a friend Liu’s had wielded a frightening influence over the couple and Wong had lost £60,000 in a card game brokered by Yang Liu and some dodgy Malaysian friends of Liu’s.

According to Jiang, John Wong who he said lived in Milan, Italy, now blamed Yang Liu for his losses and loss of face.

Jiang insisted to the court that he had his “gay lover’s” permission to use his accounts and furthermore they had agreed to be married to boost his immigration status.

The court was told Jiang obtained his visa in Dusseldorf, Germany in 2006 and entered the UK from there in May 2006 and was allowed to remain due to his civil partnership with a British man resident in Hong Kong.

He was allowed futher leave to remain in 2008 for three years, in 2011 he applied for indefinite leave to remain but this was refused and discretionary leave to remain was granted.

However in April, 2015 an application for indefinite leave to remain was refused, as was further discretionary leave to remain, Jiang appealed the descision and his appeal is still pending review at the Home Office.


A Derbyshire police forensics van at the rear of murderer Miang Jiang’s apartment block in Beswick last October

Jiang never explained to police what happened to Yang Liu, or gave satisfactory explanations as to why blood splatter was found in his flat on furniture, work surfaces, cushions sofa covers and table legs.

He sought to imply that the shadowy and powerful figure of John Wong and a mystery accomplice who came to his Beswick flat on October 5th must have been responsible and that he had returned from the casino, early Saturday morning to find the pair cleaning his flat.

But this did not explain away differing patterns of Yang Liu’s blood on his clothes and sandals that Crime Scene Investigator Jaqueline French told the court, she would have expected the blood to have got on those items by somebody wearing them next to Yang Liu when he was first assaulted and then dismembered.

There were also two suitcases present large and small, according to Jiang, one was taken away by the mystery accomplice and the larger dissapeared with John Wong when he took his Mercedes on Sunday evening.

He had also ‘conveniently’ left his phones that were tracked, in the Mercedes.

The inference there, was to suggest that the head and limbs, which have never been found, was in the smaller of the cases.

The torso was in the case that was found at the Tintwistle lay -by.

Before he left John Wong supposeedly presented Jiang with an IOU receipt written by Yang Liu, instructing Jiang to take money from his accounts and sell his Salford appartment to pay John Wong £120,000 and 60,000 Euros.

Despite weaving this rich tale the prosecution said “was embroidered with some facts to give his accounts more crediblity” it was a tissue of lies that he invented to cover his tracks.

The prosecution Mr Peter Wright Q. C. claimed that John Wong was a “convenient inventiont to avoid resposibility for what he had done to Yang Liu.”

The only proof that John Wong existed at all, was a contact entry in Jiang’s mobile phone purporting to be that of John Wong, which had anyway been modified using an old mobile number that had belonged to Jiang in the past.

Jiang said it was a spare number that he gave to lodgers to use, to avoid them using his land line at another old address he had had in Hulme, Manchester.

John Wong had stayed at that address and used the phone, eventually taking it and not giving it back to Jiang, but thereafter using it as his contact number.

The court also heard that Jiang had admitted frauds dating back to 2010, but documents including passports, credit cards and other ID taken from burgalries in the Manchester and Trafford areas in spring 2016 also emerged.

The stolen documents only came to light after Jiang’s arrest when the land lord of his former rented flat in Beswick was clearing out his left over possessions.

Despite Jiang having answers at every turn to match police questions, no matter how improbable, the Jury did not believe his accounts and unanimously found him guilty.

A police source said despite doubt cast by the defence on the ability of one man to carry out the murder and dismemberment of the body they do not think there was any body else involved. It is something they have looked into extensively.

Judge John Potter QC thanked the jury for what he said had been a very trying case and excused them from Jury service for the next ten years. He also told them that if they had been affected by any of the issues involved in the case then he would like them to make it known to officers of the court and the courts  would offer any assistance it could.

Ming Jiang who looked reflective and forlorn staring mainly at the ground was told to stand up.

“Mr Jiang, you have been found guilty. I will sentence you on Tuesday morning. Take him down.”


By Nigel Pivaro