MATCH REPORT Droylsden 6-1 Ossett Town
Monday 27th March 2017 @ 11:30 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

The Bloods hit the promotion chasing Yorkshire club for six in the sunshine at the Butcher’s Arms.

Two goals from man of the match Adam Farrell, a wonder strike from Ciaran Kilheeney and strikes from Liam Caddick, Joe Connor and substitute Jamie Frost saw Droylsden end a bad run of results with only the late sending off if Steve Hall blighting the afternoon.

It was the visitors though who looked the most dangerous early on and took the lead after just seven minutes when the Bloods once again, as so often this season, failed to deal with a corner, Steven Ridley rising at the back post to head home from close range into an empty net after the ball was only half cleared.

Four minutes later the Bloods were level, Shawn Holden breaking down the left to find Kilheeney in the box who expertly laid off the ball for Liam Caddick to strike a blistering shot in the bottom corner which left Overton in the Ossett goal with no chance.

There was little between the teams for much of the half but on twenty seven minutes, Adam Farrell started and finished a move down the right to score from close range.

The visitors still seemed the stronger and had chances to equalise before half time.

A third goal just after the break though seemed to knock the stuffing out of the visitors, Adam Farrell getting his second after collecting a Luke Daly free kick in the area to shoot low into the Ossett net.

With half an hour left, the Bloods made it four, the visitors failing to clear after a goalmouth scramble, Adam Farrell holding the ball up as it came back into the box for centre Joe Connor to score from the edge of the six yard box.

The best was yet to come, Ciaran Kilheeney scoring from route one, bringing down the ball over the top to shoot into the top corner from 25 yards to make it five, while substitute Jamie Frost for got the sixth with a quarter of an hour left.

Overton failing to hold onto Kilheeney’s low shot leaving Frost an easy tap in.

There was one blot for the home side, already substituted and yellow carded Steve Hall running onto the field to intervene in an altercation involving most of the players and getting a second yellow.

Nevertheless it was an excellent day at the office and Dave Pace’s side will be hoping to continue the form at Farsley next weekend.

By Nigel Barlow