Weather Icon 8.4°C Rain
MATCH REPORT AFC Telford Utd 3-1 Curzon Ashton
Sunday 15th January 2017 @ 10:03 by Mark Phillip
Football Sports

Curzon Ashton missed the chance to pull away from their relegation rivals as they were defeated at Telford.

The Nash endured a second half to forget after looking bright in the game’s opening stages, taking the lead through Niall Cummins, who continued his rich vein of form.

It was just 11 minutes into the game when Connor Hampson and Joe Guest linked up down the left-wing, before a cross was delivered perfectly to Cummins, whose powerful header flew past the helpless dive of Telford goalkeeper James Montgomery.

Curzon had initially looked like to build on their lead as they continued to dominate the midfield and look a threat down the wings.

But against the run of play, Telford were able to level at the midway point of the first-half. Striker Josh Wilson found space in the penalty area and was able to glance a corner into the far corner of Cameron Mason’s goal.

And the Nash struggle to recover, creating little in the way of goalscoring chances despite their dominance in possession. Mason ensured the scores remained level with a low save at the end of the half.

After a quick pep talk, Curzon came out looking to start the brightest again. James Baillie’s free-kick was stopped by Montgomery, before another set piece from a similar position whistled over the head of Jonno Hunt, who made a smart run in the box.

But that was as good as it got for Curzon. Just 10 minutes into the half, Telford went ahead for the first time in the contest as Eddie Jones fired a succulent side-footed effort from the edge of the box, rattling the underside of the crossbar on the way.

The 1,000-strong home crowd almost saw their side extend their advantage minutes later as Wright forced Mason into yet another alert low stop.

Curzon’s main chances of getting back into the game came after the introduction of Ryan Hall off the bench. His cross whizzed past Cummins in the middle, while an impressive run from the halfway line resulted in a wayward effort on goal.

But while the Nash pushed for a crucial equaliser, a lack of communication in defence led to Mason dragging Wright down in the box, before the Telford striker got up to round off the victory.