Weather Icon 6.6°C Overcast
MATCH REPORT Salford tame the Tigers in Manchester Premier Cup
Thursday 17th November 2016 @ 13:24 by Mark Phillip
Football Hyde Sports

By Jonathan Arrowsmith:

Hyde United 3-3 Salford City (Salford win 3-1 on penalties)

Hyde United are out of the Manchester Premier Cup after surrendering a two goal lead in a thriller that ended with Salford City victorious and through to the semi-final stage.

16-year-old Salford keeper Tom Russell was the hero on the night, saving penalties from Andy Bishop, Ayrton Bevins and James Burke after the game finished 3-3 after 90 minutes.

Hyde led 3-1 going into half time with goals from Adam Jones and a brace from Pete Boyle. But goals from Salford’s Jordan Hulme and a double from Matthew Warburton, cancelled out Hyde’s lead in the second half.

Tiger’s manager Darren Kelly lamented not being able to hold onto a great display in the first half but also can’t fault his players for work rate.

“The game again could have been dead and buried at half time, but you are playing against a quality side there is no doubt about that, I’m immensely proud of the players in terms of the shift they put in”

Hyde were impressive in the first half, continuing the high work rate and pressing from the front that’s become regular viewing at Ewen Fields in recent weeks.

An excellently whipped cross from Kyle Brownhill found an unmarked Pete Boyle at the far post to head home after just six minutes to put the Tigers ahead early on.

A magnificent double save from Russ Saunders at the other end of the pitch just five minutes later gave the Hyde and Salford faithful a taste of what was going to come throughout the game.

Sure enough on the 12 minute mark Salford equalised through Matthew Warburton from a free kick lofted in by James Poole. Saunders this time, had no chance.

But it wasn’t long before Hyde were back in front again, an inswinging corner into the six yard box was met by captain Adam Jones, who rose above Tom Russell to make it 2-1.

Hyde’s constant pressure on the Salford back line was enough to force a mistake out of Salford’s Alain Moges who slipped under pressure, allowing Dan Pilkington to lay in Boyle for his second of the game.

Salford came out a much improved side in the second half and Warburton’s shot somehow found its way past three Hyde bodies and past an unsighted Saunders ten minutes into the second half.

The goal lifted life back into Salford, Billy Priestley and Poole both having headed chances that they would be disappointed not to put away.

Hyde were managing the game well and holding the one goal lead with relative comfort before Salford substitute Michael Nottingham exposed the tired Tigers.

Nottingham skipped past Kyle Brownhill and Sam Heathcote before pulling back to an onrushing Jordan Hulme who deftly finished to take the game to penalties.

Salford scored all three of their penalties needed to win the tie after only Boyle could convert for the Tigers.

The performance against a side two divisions above should give Hyde United a huge lift ahead of a trip to Ramsbottom on Saturday.