MATCH REPORT Hyde United 2-2 Ossett Town
Tuesday 15th November 2016 @ 10:12 by Mark Phillip
Hyde Sports

By Thomas Gray:

Hyde put in an impressive performance against in form Ossett Town to earn a well-deserved point.

The away side came into the game having won four in their last five games only dropping points against Hyde in the reverse fixture. The Tigers came into the game off the back of an impressive 2-1 victory at Colne midweek and were looking to continue with their momentum.

The first 15 minutes were completely dominated by Hyde with good chances falling the way of Ryan Ellison and Ayrton Bevins. Hyde were moving the ball around well and were in complete control. But for all there good play, Ossett were the ones to get their noses in front against the run of play. Good work down the left hand side by Nathan Curtis resulted in him drilling his cross across the box where Jason Yates came storming in to smash it home from a couple of yards out.

The Tigers continued to play football not letting the goal affect them and were almost level five minutes later in the name of Sam Fitton. He let the ball roll across his body before striking a thunderous shot that swerved its way to the net only to be tipped onto the bar after a brilliant save by Towns keeper Leigh Overton.

Hyde continued to push and create chances but just couldn’t seem to get the equaliser as half time approached.
The Tigers came out in the second half feeling very unfortunate to be behind and whatever manager Darren Kelly said at half time worked because five minutes later, they were level. A looping left footed cross by Fitton reached the head of Matt Dempsey who directed it back across goal only for Bevins to spin his man and drill his low shot past the keeper and into the goal. Yates did his best to try and keep the ball out but could only help it into his own net.

With Hyde continuing in ascendance they pushed forward but were always wary that Ossett were dangerous on the break. With chances coming thick and fast for both teams, it was Hyde’s turn to get their noses in front just after the hour mark. Bevins scuffed cross was missed by Ossetts Andy Hawksworth and resulted in Kyle Brownhill laying the ball to Andy Bishop who curled a brilliant left footed shot that smashed against the underside of the bar and into the net. A much deserved goal for the Tigers who had impressed all afternoon. Kelly speaking after the game heaped praise on the team calling them “outstanding” showing “energy, desire and commitment to each other”

Ossett tried to fight back but couldn’t really muster any really chances. The back three of Harry Coates, Adam Jones and debutant Sam Heathcote were very impressive for the Tigers and looked strong. They could, however, only keep out Ossett out for so long before they equalised themselves to make the score 2-2. Bevins got his pocket picked by Jake Ellam on the edge of his own box and the ball ricocheted its way through to Danny Frost who volleyed past the keeper.

That was to be last action of the game after both teams once again could not be separated. Kelly felt “disappointed that we didn’t get the win” as Hyde will feel a little unlucky not to come away with the three points but a draw against 5th placed Ossett Town is by no means a bad result. The Tigers will now look ahead to Tuesday where they host Salford in the Manchester cup in a game where Darren Kelly has expressed his desire to “win” and hopefully progress in the completion to “bring silverware and success to this great club”